Hobbyist from Australia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

mulletjocks
Novice

Hobbyist from Australia

Post by mulletjocks »

Hello all,

Just making my obligatory first post. Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I am Fitter Turner - Toolmaker from the Yarra Ranges in Victoria, Australia. I became fascinated with Jesse from StillIts enthusiastic journey of discovery as he got into the "craft," and found it was very different to other home distilling adventures I had seen over the years in my own friends and family. Much more in depth and about leaning the whole process rather than just slapping a turbo wash in a mini air still! haha!
Its been great to follow StillIt, Bearded and Bored and Barley and Hops Brewing along and see different ideas and techniques and end products.

I got given a gas fired keg still by my father in law and have had some adventure with it. One day I will make a post and you can explain what "type" of column it has as I havn't yet found pictures that match its design. Cooling Managment reflux still?
I was happily hitting 93% after a few tries, but its design was very "old-school" in its design and construction and I wasnt very happy with it.

I have since built a 3" CCVM column and converted to a 4.kW electric system. I pair this with 150l ferments in an old blue vinegar barrel of my own blend of Wineos and Birdwatchers that I've dubbed "Wine-o-Watchers" and have good results so far.

Ive been lurking a while, and that's mostly what Ill continue to do, but hello all the same. :thumbup:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Hobbyist from Australia

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Mullet.Glad your enjoying the hobby. As you have found there is a lot more to it than turbo yeast and airstills.
B&H is know to give crap advice on many subjects and is on our list of unreliable suppliers and advisers.
Best to not mention that site around here.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum Mullet.

One of my pet hates is when a good friend tells me he has started distilling after watching B&H.

Tread carefully.

Cheers
Chris
mulletjocks
Novice

Post by mulletjocks »

I loved the different opinions, especially as my knowledge grew and I could pull apart peoples ideas rather than just take it as gospel! As I learnt more I see why you have developed your bad taste for B&H! Im well past that point on my journey regardless :lolno:
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome.