Noob from the Deep South

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shaker Assault
Novice

Noob from the Deep South

Post by Shaker Assault »

Hi. I started down this rabbit hole with a Christmas gift "Mr Beer" kit years ago...fun but limited and I didn't pursue as a hobby then. But recently an employee gave me some apple pie shine he'd made, and it was on! Sadly, he passed soon after so I never had the chance to learn from him but he'd lit the fuse anyway.

I blundered into this hobby/obsession foolishly and cheaply with a "Mr Distiller" (I know, right?) airpot kit and YouTube a couple months ago...ill advised. Then I started reading here...and reading...and reading....till I'd exhausted the New Distiller's Lounge material, then read some more. Following many failed learning experiences, I have now had several relatively successful runs with my favorite beverage (whiskey, particularly sour mash), and am actually on the 4th generation of a UJSSM project. I have more money than fab skillz so I've ordered a Mighty Mini Pro 3-gallon with heater & controller...one gallon at a time is not practical with five gallons of low wines, and, while my nose is almost beginning to become calibrated, cut accuracy with the sad little airpot is like trying to isolate the source of a fart in a crowded theater.

I'm immensely grateful for all I've learned here and look forward to...well, more reading!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Noob from the Deep South

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD. Too bad you bought another one before joining here. Best of luck.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Welcome aboard soon you will want a bigger boiler enjoy your journey
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

By me best guess, you're gonna buy a bigger milk can in about 6 months. Welcome aboard.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Welcome down the Rabbit Hole Shaker!

How "Deep South" are ya?
Alabama Flag.gif
Alabama Flag.gif (46.83 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Shaker Assault
Novice

Post by Shaker Assault »

TDick wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:00 pm Welcome down the Rabbit Hole Shaker!

How "Deep South" are ya?

Alabama Flag.gif
Thanks! Kinda deep...my daughter's in Mobile, I think that counts as pretty dang deep :D