Newcomer looking for tips on building a keg still

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

quite4
Novice

Newcomer looking for tips on building a keg still

Post by quite4 »

Hi all,

I recently decided to build a pot still out of a 30l keg.
Me and my old man have been thinking about designs and I found this forum via Google.
Information is already useful. Looking forward to soaking up more knowledge from you all.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Newcomer looking for tips on building a keg still

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to HD. Plenty of keg builds on here. Just use the search feature. Good luck and enjoy the reading
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome, you will find construction information. I suggest you understand which spirits you want to produce and think about barrel changes, if you can consider the "modular" option so you can produce more things. Generally the keg if left original (without cuts) is easy to modify.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

quite4 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:13 pm Hi all,

I recently decided to build a pot still out of a 30l keg.
Me and my old man have been thinking about designs and I found this forum via Google.
Information is already useful. Looking forward to soaking up more knowledge from you all.
Hey Quite, welcome to HD!

Great hobby to be working on with your Dad, and you've found the single best resource to learn from. Enjoy the rabbit hole of reading and learning.

As others mentioned keg stills are a fairly common build option here because they're easily available and basically the perfect hobby size. The link to my build is on my signature below if you're interested.

One piece of advice, build it with all the options you want.... The first time. Ultimately easier quicker and cheaper than upgrading later. Modular is a huge plus, highly recommended.

Anyways, ask good questions, have fun, play safe.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by quite4 »

Thanks. I've been reading and I like the build where I can easily add a reflux column if I want to.

Seems like modular is the way to go. Shouldn't be hard, I found a good source for copper tubing and clamps.
I am going to build a Liebig condenser.
My father is good at welding and I am good at finding information on the internet so we should make a good combo.

I am worried about heat source. Don't want to use gas. I am thinking of using a small electric stove with one plate for heat.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Welcome aboard this “sailing ship”. Hang on...it’s an adventurous ride!

In an effort to keep this thread appropriate for the Welcome forum, I’d just add a note to venture to the Construction forum where there are discussions of many different builds, including stillheads and boilers. And we have a forum dedicated to the electronics side of the hobby too since you’re interested in propane alternatives.

Good luck. Catch your breath and have fun. And as always, “be safe, responsible, and discrete”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Mashable
Novice

Post by Mashable »

Welcome, as a greenhorn novice myself, so far all I can recommend is to take your time go slow! I’m in design and parts collection process myself and have changed my mind/design several times, definitely modular was my desired route, design possibilities are endless!

This place has so much great info and support, I’ve lost track of the hrs I have spent using the search functions and different topics, go slow and enjoy the process.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Welcome in as others have said ask your questions in the build threads.

Stay safe and read until your eyes bleed
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Oh and modular is the way to go

Stay safe
OVZ