New to 'stillin

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kimoscout
Novice

New to 'stillin

Post by Kimoscout »

Howdy y'all. Got into this via my brother. He hooked me up with the Brewers edge mash and boil. Still trying to get the hang of it. Keeps turning off and me and makes it hard to keep the drip going. I've played around with an apple brandy and have made a couple corn runs. Here learn a few things, hopefully get better at. All is for my own consumption. So far a very strong alcohol flavor and not near as smooth as my brother's stuff, but he's been at it a while.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: New to 'stillin

Post by still_stirrin »

Help him when he makes his cuts. You’ll learn a lot from “practical experience”. You’re one of the lucky ones....who actually has someone close who can mentor you. Use it!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Kimoscout wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 am Keeps turning off and me and makes it hard to keep the drip going
Welcome Kimo
Sounds to me like your saying the boiler keeps turning on and off..........you cant run a still that way.....just wont work.
As SS said cuts and making them properly is crucial to making good booze. You can find a link to making cuts at the bottom of this page.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Welcome Kimoscout,

That 'strong alcohol flavor' probably means that you've collected and are drinking the early part of the run, what we call 'fores' or 'heads'. They have compounds that have strong smells and burn on the palate. As Bill says, you need to learn about cuts - essentially discarding the first parts and the last parts and keeping the middle - aka the hearts.

Keep at it,there is a bi of a learning curve.

Best, Drifter
Kimoscout
Novice

Post by Kimoscout »

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah on my first run of the brandy I tossed 4 ounces, same with second of corn. 3rd run of corn just tossed 2 ounces. Its not a harsh, doesn't burn like rot gut whiskey, its actually smooth, just seems like it's not right.

SB - yeah it keeps turning off and on. I want to get to slow and low, but B.E. mash and boil seems to not be built for that. Set it 195f, it'll get up to temp around 135f in the reflux condenser which is filled with all copper to help taste. Its starts dripping then machine cuts of from heating and goes to warm mode. Then the condenser gets super hot, so I have to watch the water flow or it spits out a lot spirit like I opened a water valve.

May end up ditching this B.E. M&B go with a different one.