Hi all

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

tchib
Novice

Hi all

Post by tchib »

Hi everyone. I recognize many names from reading this forum for so long but I have never made an account to post anything.
I have distilled for a few years and I will soon be getting a big boy copper alembic with a riser and basket to make some real pot still goodies. Therefor I want to come and pick your brains and get told how wrong I'm doing everything.
I'm in EU and mostly make white spirits but have dabbled in whiskies and liqueurs.
I like to offer my spirits to my hotel guests and want to get more in to coming up with my own 'brand' I can be remembered for.
I particularly want tips on flavors for a gin idea I have but I will post that separately in another forum.
Thanks
T
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Hi all

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to HD. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Before buying do your research. Nothing wrong with buying, but check the builder out. Good luck and enjoy the reading.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
tchib
Novice

Post by tchib »

Thanks. It's copper-alembic,com they handmake their stuff in Portugal. It looked good and they have been around for a while. What do you think?
T
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

We have members that have used them. Not sure of brand but basic design seems alright. Just personal observation is most upgrade size quickly. And most don't buy another alembic. There are 1196 search results on this subject. I would recommend reading through some.

After two years of playing with a 7 gallon pot. I am currently having my new still built. Both are full copper, but neither are alembics.

I would buy what is safe, what will make your preferred drink, will yield an amount you're happy with, and what is nice to look at while stilling.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.