Hello Folks

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

bourbonic plague
Novice

Hello Folks

Post by bourbonic plague »

Hello. New to distilling. Just finished building an 8gal keg pot still, with a 2" copper head and 1/2" arm, with a thread attachment at the end to extend with 3/8" or 1/4" flexible copper if needed. I've tried two runs so far, just for practice, and though the still seems to run really well, I'm already learning a lot about the importance of cleaning and controlling the speed of a run (still puked on my first run). My main goal is to be able to make bourbons and ryes. Anyway, my plan is to take my time with this new hobby, read a lot, and work at getting better and better.
Berserk
Bootlegger

Re: Hello Folks

Post by Berserk »

Welcome, you've come to the right place!

Also, love the name!

I think you may want to avoid a 1/4" vapor path. If your still pukes any solid and it gets plugged you may get pressure build up in the boiler, which more or less turns it into a bomb.

Your plan sounds very sensible. Good luck! :)
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Hello Folks

Post by Twisted Brick »

Berserk wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:23 pm Welcome, you've come to the right place!

Also, love the name!

I think you may want to avoid a 1/4" vapor path. If your still pukes any solid and it gets plugged you may get pressure build up in the boiler, which more or less turns it into a bomb.

Your plan sounds very sensible. Good luck! :)
+1

Since you have a 2" stillhead, maybe consider adding a 2" 90 that angles and reduces to 1/2" right into a liebig?

Anyway, welcome! Love the name!

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer