Intro

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

unclewoody
Novice

Intro

Post by unclewoody »

Hi folks,

There’s a lot of cool stuff on this forum. I’ve been home brewing beers, meads and wines for about 7 years and have always been curious about the next step. I hope that home use distilling becomes legal in more places because it looks like a really fun hobby.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Intro

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to HD. Your beer background will help with the learning curve. We all hope for legalization one day. Until then we will keep practicing for the entrance exam. Be safe, good luck and enjoy the reading.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Welcome unclewoody

Nice to have you aboard.
What SmokyMtn said :thumbup:

Stay safe & have fun!
BlackStrap
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
unclewoody
Novice

Post by unclewoody »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have a family member with wheat/gluten issues so most of my beer has been uncharted territory with quinoa, Teff, Amaranth, Millet and Buckwheat. Rice and sorghum extracts work but they have distinct flavors that are not as good as traditional grains. Two row and corn mash look like a cake walk after having to malt from scratch. I’m still a long way out from taking new projects but these forums are a great place to unwind with a nice whiskey. (I’m sure the folks on here make better stuff.)