Hello from Australia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

ash_from_oz
Novice

Hello from Australia

Post by ash_from_oz »

Hi All

Been researching for a while and have started to getting into stilling

I ended up getting a 35l boiler and a copper t500 to start me off. I know how a lot of people feel about the t500s but it's going to get me into the hobby relatively cheap and very easily. I'm not very handy with metal working so at least any time in the near future I'll be purchasing equipment instead of building anything to substantial. I have swapped out the plastic spirit outlet on the t500 with copper to avoid the extra contact with plastic.

I have a heap of glass jars for collecting, most have plastic lined metal lids so they are only for collecting for now without the use of the lids, I have a large jar that I'm going to store hearts from each run that I have a PTFE gasket for and am going to sort out a long term feints jar/keg.

I've done my cleaning, vinegar and sacrificial runs and will do my first real run tomorrow.

I used a TPW for sac run, I'm going to use the free turbo yeast batch tomorrow and I have another TPW fermenting down now. I was going to sac run the turbo but I'm curious to taste it and compare to TPW and an TFFV that I'm going to do next week.

I'm going to start my UJSSM generations ASAP to get that developing and then hopefully move onto some AG mashes in a few months.

Hopefully not biting too much off at this point but I'll see how I go.

Looking forward to being a part of the forums and appreciate all the info available that I've tried to be soaking up already.

Ash
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Hello from Australia

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Ash :wave:
ash_from_oz wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:12 am I know how a lot of people feel about the t500s but it's going to get me into the hobby relatively cheap and very easily.
For what they are they are not a bad little still, I started out with one years ago, still use the boiler with a pot head on it for making gin.
ash_from_oz wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:12 am I have a heap of glass jars for collecting, most have plastic lined metal lids so they are only for collecting for now without the use of the lids,
Coffee filters on top to keep the bugs out and to let the booze breath...cheap and effective .
ash_from_oz wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:12 am I'm going to start my UJSSM generations ASAP to get that developing and then hopefully move onto some AG mashes in a few months.
For those you will need a pot still head and a power controller, power controllers are cheap if you look in the right places...$45ish......a pot still head is the easiest of all stills to build cheap to for a boiler of that size.
Presuming that what you have at the moment is the T500 reflux ?
Dont be afraid to ask for advice......just do it in the right section of the forum.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Hello from Australia

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to HD. You will enjoy the UJSSM journey. Just watch how much backset you're using as the generations build. Keep an eye on starting Ph. Good luck and enjoy the reading. There's only one person your still has to please, and it's none of us.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.