Hey all

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sleighahh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey all

Post by Sleighahh »

Another NZ'er signing up.

Used to do a lot of homebrewing and a little distilling but have been on hiatus from both for about 7-8 years.

Was going through some stuff I had in stashed away and came across my old boka head, got me thinking and now I've got the itch to get back into it again.

I've mainly got an interest in doing whiskey/bourbon-esque stuff but will pick up the kit to be able to knock out some neutral once and a while.

Currently have all the parts in my Aliexpress cart from Distillex to put together a modular CCVM/pot still. Just trying to muster up the courage to pull the trigger because it's a little more than I was hoping to spend haha. Built all my stuff last time but don't really have the will to do it this time around, and it's not looking much cheaper anyway.

Anyway, used to come here but never posted, awesome to see so many familiar names still active.

Cheers!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Hey all

Post by Demy »

Welcome.With readings on the forum the departure is very facilitated.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sleighahh wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm Was going through some stuff I had in stashed away and came across my old boka head, got me thinking and now I've got the itch to get back into it again.
Sleighahh wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm Currently have all the parts in my Aliexpress cart from Distillex to put together a modular CCVM/pot still. Just trying to muster up the courage to pull the trigger
Welcome Sleigh, why pull the trigger at all , save the money for some other distilling gear, whats wrong with using the old Boka for neutral and then de-tuning it to work as a potty for Whiskey or Bourbon type products?
Use the saved cash to build a nice boiler or something ?
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Welcome back Sleighahh. Buying is easy, but there is definitely some satisfaction in rolling your own. Works that way at the liquor store, and in the stillery!

Good on ya and keep us posted.
Sleighahh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sleighahh »

Thanks everyone.
Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 am Welcome Sleigh, why pull the trigger at all , save the money for some other distilling gear, whats wrong with using the old Boka for neutral and then de-tuning it to work as a potty for Whiskey or Bourbon type products?
Use the saved cash to build a nice boiler or something ?
Yeah, not a bad idea. Really though, I'm just being a tight arse I think haha. I've included a boiler in the order which is what's really jacking up the price. I do have a 50L keg though, so today's mission is to price up converting that to an electric boiler.
n_plains_drifter wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:01 am Welcome back Sleighahh. Buying is easy, but there is definitely some satisfaction in rolling your own. Works that way at the liquor store, and in the stillery!
Oh, I totally agree. I built all my homebrewing and distilling gear last time around and had a great time doing it. Kinda just wanna buy the gear to get the ball rolling and focus on the product. Once I've got a working system any upgrades or changes I'll definately piece together myself.
stmaus
Novice

Post by stmaus »

Buying all the parts from Distillex is a valid option, convenient and reasonable value, and modular CCVM/pot is the way to go. But, yes, the boiler will add to the price and shipping cost substantially, so look to use your keg. You only need to drill a hole and put in a weldless element, 2200W commonly available in our part of the world.