Hello from the Western U.S.

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello from the Western U.S.

Post by Stonecutter »

Been in the hobby for a little over a year now. I’m currently running a modular 8 gallon SS pot with copper mesh packing. I usually run all grain bourbon but have dabbled in some brandy and sugar washes. The bug has hit hard and deep. This year I’m going to step up my game with a 16 gallon four inch copper sectional flute with four perf plates. I haven’t built my own still but I have built my own variable voltage controller. I have some family history with shine out of Virginia from stories my Ma told me around the dinner table. For me, making hooch feels like connecting with the past in a way. Ready to get into some good conversations with other craftsmen from around the world. Thanks.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from the Western U.S.

Post by v-child »

Sorry nobody has greeted you into the family yet. Hope you enjoy the hobby and information that some of the most knowledgeable home distillers in the world can provide. Just be careful with regards to safety and info sharing.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I appreciate the official “slap on the back” v-child. When I joined I commented on another newcomers post and yummyrum welcomed us both on that thread. I take it you’re a Hendrix fan? IMHO as far as overall skill and ingenuity Jimi still outpaces them all... even bucket head.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Yes I am. Most don't figure out the connection to Hendrix. Some of the older blues guys are great, but nobody better than Jimi. SRV is high on my list also.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Love the blues. Howlin’ Wolf, Son House, John Lee Hooker. Even Jerry Garcia lays it down nice and thick. Cigars and Whiskey brotha.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:59 am Love the blues. Howlin’ Wolf, Son House, John Lee Hooker. Even Jerry Garcia lays it down nice and thick. Cigars and Whiskey brotha.
Welcome in, Stonecutter! 'Hard and deep' describes the devotion to this hobby for a lot of us, building as well as distilling. I don't think I've made a strip or spirit run without the benefit of a playlist of blues yet.

As a (totally amateur garage) guitar player, I hold Jimi as the most influential ever (I'm 64). I once (late 70's?) read an insightful interview about Jimi given by the pre-eminent photographer on the major rock concert scene. He had spent a couple hours chatting as Jimi noodled around with his guitar, and in his article wrote that Jimi 'possessed ten times the amount of natural talent that anyone should be allowed to have".

Enjoy the journey and putting a good pinch of heart into every batch you make.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I appreciate you taking the time to welcome me in Twisted Brick! Being that I’m 36 it goes to show that Jimi is timeless. I expect that the future generations will be “kissing the sky” for quite some time. I also jam as a complete amateur. I’ll have to upload a pic of my setup over in the music thread. My mashing and fermenting equipment are in house so I like to play while I mash and while the brew ferments. I figure whatever comes to mind during that time is what the yeast and spirits want to hear.
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

36? Man, you got a lot of years to master the craft.
I can only imagine where I'd be if a started doing this 15 years ago.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

:ebiggrin: I am definitely just getting my feet wet. I’m sure there are guys here that are younger than me that would wipe the floor with me. Like most of the people here at HD, I’m here to contribute what I can and learn as much as possible. There is a reason we’re given two ears and one mouth.
-Thomas Paine