Creating whiskey from rectified spirit

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

nischaynamdev
Novice

Creating whiskey from rectified spirit

Post by nischaynamdev »

Hi,
I'm planning to start a small business. I want to create a nice whiskey using rectified neutral spirit.
I have following questions in my mind:

1. Do I need it to distill the spirit again if it is coming in Plastic drums?
2. Can I do aging in stainless steel tank?
3. What would be the best flavoring technique/option for rectified spirit? I'm planning on using toasted oak chips in steel tank?
4. I also have question regarding dilution process so if you can explain dilution that would be great!
Thanks!
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Creating whiskey from rectified spirit

Post by Kindafrench »

Possibly you need to ferment something nice and then distill it to get something nice. High proof alcohol in plastic containments may carry fancy stuff you can‘t get rid of anymore, even with redistilling.
That‘s not answering all your questions, I know. On top of it, I think it‘s an expensive way of making „whiskey“.
Lot of threads about aging, flavouring and dilluting on HD.
Depending on the way the alcohol has been made, you even can‘t call it Whiskey by definition.
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

nischaynamdev wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:27 pm Hi,
I'm planning to start a small business. I want to create a nice whiskey using rectified neutral spirit.

1. Do I need it to distill the spirit again if it is coming in Plastic drums?
2. Can I do aging in stainless steel tank?
3. What would be the best flavoring technique/option for rectified spirit? I'm planning on using toasted oak chips in steel tank?
4. I also have question regarding dilution process so if you can explain dilution that would be great!
Thanks!
welcome :D , I personally would not buy spirit that comes in plastic containers , it may be food safe but strong alcohol will slowly rot the plastic making it taste bad and probably poisonous . I know neutral grain spirit can come in 220 litre stainless steel drums as well .

yes aging in a stainless steel tank will be o.k . old beer kegs are good for storage as well as making a still boiler or you could use an empty stainless drum that you get your NGS in

a good thread for experiments using different wood types and and char is here but there are many many more , https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=72255 .

it may be cheaper to practice different aging methods with spirits you can make yourself before you "go legit" depending on the fees .

your dilution calculator is here https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/htm/calc ... dilute.htm

good luck and keep us posted
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

1. Do I need it to distill the spirit again if it is coming in Plastic drums?<— If you dilute it to 40%ABV, what does it taste like? That would help you answer that question for yourself.

2. Can I do aging in stainless steel tank? <— You can. But, that is not how commercial whiskey is made. FYI - it is usually aged in oak casks.

3. What would be the best flavoring technique/option for rectified spirit? I'm planning on using toasted oak chips in steel tank?<— Chunks in stainless is NOT the best method. Sure, you can do it. But, what you get out of it will be inferior. And “time on oak” will be your fail, as without doubt, you’ll try to short circuit proper aging. It will take time to mature, especially in a stainless tank.

4. I also have question regarding dilution process so if you can explain dilution that would be great! <— Damn, you’re not prepared at all, are you? Tempering a spirit is just about the easiest thing in this hobby. If you have to ask, you’re not ready. You’ve got a lot of reading ahead of you, so you better get started right away. Oh, and we don’t appreciate “spoonfeeding” new members just because they haven’t tried to learn yet.

Thanks!
I recommend start reading with the Cranky’s Spoonfeed thread hotlinked in my signature. Spend a while reading.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Hey Nischay, Welcome to HD.

As others have mentioned reading is available to answer your questions and so should be your place to start.

To your plan, short answer, you can't turn bulk spirits into a nice whisky, in fact it cannot be whisky at all. Much of the flavor that makes whisky what it is was either removed or never present. From neutral spirit your options are, vodkas, gins or flavored liqueurs.

Best path forward is to read, it's all here for review. Good luck.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by LWTCS »

Combining the words "nice whiskey" with "rectified neutral spirit" seems,,,,counter intuitive?

Perhaps your potential market lacks some baseline understanding about whiskey? Or perhaps you do?
What country are you in?
I know of an operator that set up shop in Kentucky so that he could lay claim to his product being bottled in Kentucky.
All of his sales are exported and evidently he gets his credibility from being able to truthfully claim his spirits are bottled in Kentucky. Though he is only blending sourced whiskey with sourced NGS. So,,,whiskey light.......
He is unable to sell much of anything domestically,,,,for obvious reasons one assumes?

In some markets, not being completely forthright with production protocols can be the kiss of death.
In other markets , using a rectified neutral as a substitute for a proper whiskey won't even get off the ground.

Best find your market. If you've done so already, then perhaps you've already done your sensory awareness due diligence?
Good luck and my apologies if I have been too presumptuous.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

there is a couple guys on you tube that are whiskey tasters/ reviewers. pretty popular they been around for a while with a zillion whiskies reviewed.

they did a review of aged NGS, and much to their surprise they liked it. as they noted, it wasn't whisky... but it was drinkable according to them
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.