Hello from the West Coast

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

openwheel11
Novice

Hello from the West Coast

Post by openwheel11 »

Hello to everyone and thank you for all the information posted on this site. I have spent hours reading on the various topics (especially around Rum)

A bit about me: I am new to distilling but have been a home brewer for a while. I stick to the simple BIAB method, but I am very happy with the results. I just wish I had room for a dedicated brewing space which would make life easier and brewing more frequent.

I am fortunate in that there is a craft distillery a few miles away (Tripp Distillery) in addition to the many others here in the Bay Area. I have been helping out at Tripp a couple days a week so my learning curve has been steep (and legal). We make Gin, Brandy, Vodka, Rum and soon will have production whisky. We run an old school 250 gal pot still from Colonel Vaughn that we affectionately call "Big Ass Sally" and our methods are heavily influenced by Downslope Distilling. It's a pretty scrappy operation but a ton of fun.

My preferences lean more towards rum than whisky and I hope to help expand our offerings to include some of the many different rum styles.
Not sure
Bootlegger

Re: Hello from the West Coast

Post by Not sure »

Welcome aboard enjoy your hobby
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome, openwheel!

I envy your access to Big Ass Sally! I have read that still has produced some award-winning spirits. I would love to stop by the distillery the next trip I make to the bay area (my daughter lives across the way from Fort Mason).

Have fun in your new adventure.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Hey OW11
I’m going to look up Trip distillery. It must be fairly new. I’m a down in the South Bay just a few miles away. Lots of rum stuff here. Actually just type the name of any kind of liquor in the search engine and you’ll probably get multiple hits. This place is a great resource for anything distilling.
Good luck in your Journey.
JBC
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, sounds like you have had advantages not many members have for learning. It is surprising (maybe not) how many of our members have gone on and opened their own distilleries.