New to this

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

RoosterCogburn
Novice

New to this

Post by RoosterCogburn »

So I have wanted to get into this for a while and now that I'm retired, it seemed a good time to start. Especially since I found what I think is my grandfather's whiskey recipe. He's been gone 20 years, so I can't ask him. But, I know I can't jump straight to that so I started with a simple 1:1 cornmeal, water, sugar mix with a packet of Red Star premium Blanc yeast thrown in. I noticed last night (day 9) that it had quit bubbling and I watched it for several minutes, no activity. I pulled the airlock to let the water level back up so I could see if it pushed any overnight. Well, it started bubbling again and is still (20 hours) pushing bubbles about every 10 seconds. What happened?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: New to this

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Rooster.
Lesson No 1. Never rely on an airlock to gauge the activity of a ferment. One small leak around the lid will stop the bubbling.
Its always best to lift the lid and look for and listen for activity on the surface of the wash or mash.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Welcome Rooster! Looking forward to learning about your grandfather’s recipe when you are ready to share.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
RoosterCogburn
Novice

Post by RoosterCogburn »

Bill, I discovered that when it still wasn't bubbling on day 3, but could see it working with the top off. A couple wraps of thread tape and she blew about 1/2 the water out of the airlock, lol.
RoosterCogburn
Novice

Post by RoosterCogburn »

8Ball wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:06 pm Welcome Rooster! Looking forward to learning about your grandfather’s recipe when you are ready to share.
8Ball, I will have to share it because I'm going to need a lot of help when I get to that point. I found it stuck behind a drawer in his old roll top desk. I'm not sure it wasn't just a shopping List, but there's no fun in that. It was, as best as I can tell:
30 corn
8 barley
3 rye/wheat
1 g ca. sy. - I'm guessing this is cane syrup, better known as molasses.
Whatever the reality, it looks like it would make a decent drink...
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

RoosterCogburn wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:07 pm
8Ball wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:06 pm Welcome Rooster! Looking forward to learning about your grandfather’s recipe when you are ready to share.
8Ball, I will have to share it because I'm going to need a lot of help when I get to that point. I found it stuck behind a drawer in his old roll top desk. I'm not sure it wasn't just a shopping List, but there's no fun in that. It was, as best as I can tell:
30 corn
8 barley
3 rye/wheat
Rooster,
Thanks for the recipe. Sounds like it will be a fine drop. Post it in the “Recipe Development” section when you are ready to get started. You will get good advice there.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

30 corn
8 barley
3 rye/wheat
What a great find, RC! Kudos for making the effort to revive a piece of your family history. Since the time your grandfather made whiskey from this recipe, much has been learned and practiced in the treatment of the ingredients, and how to make the absolute best drop from them. How to use enzymes and current yeast strains will probably also make it on your list of items to become familiar with.

If ya get stuck, there's plenty of folks around to lend a hand.

And.... welcome!

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

Welcome!
RoosterCogburn wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:30 pm Bill, I discovered that when it still wasn't bubbling on day 3, but could see it working with the top off. A couple wraps of thread tape and she blew about 1/2 the water out of the airlock, lol.
Airlocks are notorious liars.

Get a hydrometer and testing jar (glass). If the hydrometer readings don't change on three successive day readings, it is either done or stalled (hopefully not).
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

8Ball wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:20 pm
30 corn
8 barley
3 rye/wheat
Rooster,
Thanks for the recipe. Sounds like it will be a fine drop. Post it in the “Recipe Development” section when you are ready to get started. You will get good advice there.
Rooster,
I took a shot at making a recipe from what you shared:

10# Corn
3# Barley
2# Rye/Wheat
42 oz molasses/cane syrup or 3# panela

Haven’t tried it yet, but maybe this fall.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Welcome to HD
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Great handle you picked there Rooster. I really just need to spend a night watching some old J. Wayne movies. Welcome to HD. So much knowledge here. Just a lot to read and retain. If you don't mind me asking what did you retire from?
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

30 corn
8 barley
3 rye/wheat
Welcome Rooster. Recipe looks fine. I’m going to put that one on the “make it next time” list.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.