Another New Member!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

pacwest
Novice

Another New Member!

Post by pacwest »

Greetings!

I've been lurking on the site for a long time. I'm just now acquiring the pieces to build my own. I've been interested in distilling since my dad passed on two gallons of shine that he got from his aunt. Her father owned a winery, where they also distilled their own. During the prohibition, the winery was raided and the still was destroyed. Only two gallons of liquor survived. My wife and I used the two gallons making cordials for Christmas gifts. As we began to run out, I became very interested in making my own. After all, I have to leave something for my kids when I go!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Another New Member!

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome Pacwest!

Good on ya for stepping up to carry the torch. You’ve found the best place to hang out, read til your eyes bleed, and learn how to distill competently, safely.

Enjoy the learning,

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Welcome aboard, enjoy the journey. So, what do you want to make, and what kind of still are you looking to build?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
pacwest
Novice

Post by pacwest »

I've been collecting parts to build a reflux still. I think I have everything, except for the 2" copper pipe. I'm going to start with neutrals, but I'm anxious to create some interesting gins. I myself, have never taken to dark spirits, but I have relatives that consider themselves to be connoisseurs. So, I'd like to do something fun for them.