The Journey Begins

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

jmreidmj
Novice

The Journey Begins

Post by jmreidmj »

Hello all! I have brewed beer in the Tampa area for nearly 10 years now. Have been thinking about getting into spirits for a while, and just received a spiffy new still for my birthday. Looking forward to learning about this craft, making all kinds of delicious beverages and sharing with family and friends!
Not sure
Bootlegger

Re: The Journey Begins

Post by Not sure »

Welcome what type of still did you get we all like pics of stills here maybe someone has the same one and can help you run it. Anyway have fun be safe
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
jmreidmj
Novice

Post by jmreidmj »

Still_Pic.jpg
Thanks Not sure. Here she is. There was essentially no instructions included. The pot is rated at 35L. I just ran a test on the pump. Seems fine. Next step I'm planning is to put 50/50 mixture of vinegar/distilled h2o in the pot and turn on the heat. I have a heavy duty propane burner that should work. I'm just learning about distilling, so would appreciate any comments and suggestions.
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Post by SomethingObscure »

jmreidmj wrote:
Still_Pic.jpg
I'm just learning about distilling, so would appreciate any comments and suggestions.
I'm still a beginner too, but before you run any alcohol through your still that you intend on consuming be sure to remove any plastic or silicone from the vapour / produce path.. might be worth checking the seals on the boiler and the link between the column and condenser.

Good luck, stay safe and welcome.

SomethingObscure
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

jmreidmj wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:32 pm Still_Pic.jpg
Thanks Not sure. Here she is. There was essentially no instructions included. The pot is rated at 35L. I just ran a test on the pump. Seems fine. Next step I'm planning is to put 50/50 mixture of vinegar/distilled h2o in the pot and turn on the heat. I have a heavy duty propane burner that should work. I'm just learning about distilling, so would appreciate any comments and suggestions.
I'd at least take the rubber tube off the outlet and look into a bigger coolant tank maybe a blue barrel or a brute trash can dont forget your sacrifice run too
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
jmreidmj
Novice

Post by jmreidmj »

What size (gals) would you recommend for the coolant tank?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome to HD! Enjoy the site and check out the rules. This is a welcome thread so you should post specific questions please in the appropriate sections.

Cheers,
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
jmreidmj
Novice

Post by jmreidmj »

Roger that.
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

jmreidmj wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:33 pm What size (gals) would you recommend for the coolant tank?
I use my 20 gallon laundry sink, topped up with well water. Depending on the size of the run, I need to partially drain and refill two or three times to keep the coolant cool enough. I reckon a 30 gallon trash can would work better, but I don’t have the space...
qui bene bibit est beatus
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Dr Griz wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:50 pm
jmreidmj wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:33 pm What size (gals) would you recommend for the coolant tank?
I use my 20 gallon laundry sink, topped up with well water. Depending on the size of the run, I need to partially drain and refill two or three times to keep the coolant cool enough. I reckon a 30 gallon trash can would work better, but I don’t have the space...
Put it outside with the hoses through the window?

Geoff
The Baker
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

The Baker wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 am
Put it outside with the hoses through the window?
That's some first class problem-solving there, Baker...
qui bene bibit est beatus