New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Braampie
Novice

Post by Braampie »

Good day!

I have been lurking around here for the better part of a year and have gained a wealth of experience already. With the hard lockdown of 2020 and all the went with it, the wife and I went from making ginger beer to ciders and eventually (fulfilling a long time yearning) to "proper" distilling.

I built a still from an old 30L beer keg with a copper Liebig condenser connected to a little water feature pump. It works very well and the product is decent enough so that we do not purchase any whisky at all. We use an adapted Gerber wash and then try and age it on oak staves or shavings. Being in a small town in South Africa makes it a bit difficult finding a constant supply of oak but even the the "white dog" is not bad! I would like to try an all grain wash at some stage though.

Anyway, I look forward to gaining a lot more experience on the site and hope there will be a lot of fruitful interaction!

Cheers.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: New Member

Post by Demy »

Welcome, I like people who build your equipment and fit with few things.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Hey,,, and it's your YT chanel, innit? ;)

Welcome onboard.

har druckit för mycket
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Braampie wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:01 am Good day!

I have been lurking around here for the better part of a year and have gained a wealth of experience already. With the hard lockdown of 2020 and all the went with it, the wife and I went from making ginger beer to ciders and eventually (fulfilling a long time yearning) to "proper" distilling.

I built a still from an old 30L beer keg with a copper Liebig condenser connected to a little water feature pump. It works very well and the product is decent enough so that we do not purchase any whisky at all. We use an adapted Gerber wash and then try and age it on oak staves or shavings. Being in a small town in South Africa makes it a bit difficult finding a constant supply of oak but even the the "white dog" is not bad! I would like to try an all grain wash at some stage though.

Anyway, I look forward to gaining a lot more experience on the site and hope there will be a lot of fruitful interaction!

Cheers.
welcome to HD, myself from RSA. good info here on HD. try Booners casual corn for all grain, maize meal works well and is readily available. enzymes you can get online from one of the older distilling shops.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?