New to this......again

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

papabear2240
Novice

New to this......again

Post by papabear2240 »

Hey everyone, I'm doing a re-introduction post on here because I've been absent for quite some time now.

I first signed up on this forum 4-5 years ago and started building my still. Then life got in the way and everything got put on the back burner for much longer than I anticipated. I now feel that I have the time to put into the research that this hobby requires.

I'm on the west coast. I'm going to be building a 8 gallon copper pot still, why 8 gallons you ask...... well that's because when I jumped into building it I didn't really know how big I wanted to make it nor did I fully understand the volume that goes into making a product. The other factor was the price of the copper. Looking back I should have just spent the little extra to have a 10 gallon still. Cart before the horse really, but I think it will work out fine. With that being said I've got the rest of the pieces on order and will hopefully have it completed within the next month or two, some of the materials are gonna take a while to get to me.

What I'm interested in making will be mostly brandy. I'll probably end up making some rum down the road. I have a few plum, apricot and apple trees around the house and I get so much fruit that a lot of it goes to waste. I've got 20-30lbs of plums and apricots in the freezer right now. Plus I'm just more interested in brandy.

Thanks again for the wealth of information on here and I'll post some pics of my still when I get it completed.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: New to this......again

Post by Yummyrum »

Welcome back again Papa.
Hope you get a better ho at it this round .
Wouldn’t be too worried about 8 gal verses 10

Make yiur next one 30gal :ebiggrin:
papabear2240
Novice

Post by papabear2240 »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:17 pm
Make yiur next one 30gal :ebiggrin:
Now that's a still......maybe one day
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome, I really like the prune brandy, I make a small amount when the fruits are available, in general I distilled many fruits.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

"life got in the way"

Who hasn't been there????