Greetings from...Abroad

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Watauga
Novice

Greetings from...Abroad

Post by Watauga »

I was born and raised in Appalachia, where it wasn't uncommon to find a busted still on a mountain hike. My dad loved to get the old boys talking about their moonshining days. He had a pretty little copper stovetop still he used to fire up to impress dinner guests (we were townies). I reckon it made about a teacup's worth of hooch. For fun, I built a rig in college that wasn't much bigger.

Now I am retired and we live abroad in a place where booze is very expensive but the discreet are left in peace. We bought a T500 and I've run it four times. Very impressive.

I've consulted this forum many times over the years, trying to talk myself into getting serious. Now I'm serious and I've got some specific questions. Time to make an account!
Watauga
Novice

Re: Greetings from...Abroad

Post by Watauga »

After making this post, how long do I have to wait before posting elsewhere? I posted this first, honest.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Unless things have changed, you should be able to dive right in! Welcome aboard. Where's home now?
Watauga
Novice

Post by Watauga »

I just had one disapproved. Perhaps this one hadn't been approved yet?

We're in the UK. I was astonished how many people were selling Still Sprits equipment here. Many online brewshops and dozens of Ebay sellers. We asked the shop we bought from about it he said and all the goods come through Customs, he has many customers, and nobody's ever been hassled. A couple of his customers contacted the government about obtaining a license and were told not to bother! (I looked into a license and it's prohibitive - among other things you have to have a bonded warehouse).
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I'm guessing the first post has to be approved by a moderator now, but that's new if true. I know some mods were frustrated that folks posted without starting in the welcome section.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to grant permission. Great site, good folks, wealth of info. Uncle Jesse won't ask, but throw him a few sheckles now and then to keep this site running.
Watauga
Novice

Post by Watauga »

Ah, I see the board doesn't have post ratings. Imagine a thumbs up emoticon!
ismbardbrunel123
Novice

Post by ismbardbrunel123 »

Hi and welcome aboard, you seem to think that alcohol here is expensive...? hmmm.... i wondered where my money had been going...not true as i make my own, still in the sugar making mode,.....Would of loved to have your Appalachia experience...as for bonded, i'm sure you can hire an area...?

I would also appreciate a post ratings......
Watauga
Novice

Post by Watauga »

Hoo boy, yes I think it's expensive! When I was in the States, I paid under $10 for a 1.75 liter bottle of bottom-shelf vodka at 40% ABV. Admittedly, that was some years ago, but according to a random YouTube I found (are we allowed to link to those?), some guy paid $11.65 for a similar bottle in 2017. The very cheapest I can find in the UK today is Aldi's Tamova at £13.99 per liter at 37.5% ABV.

So, let's see, $10 for 1.75 L is $5.70/L, which is just over £4 at today's exchange rate. £4 versus £14. I'm not even going to try to work out what that is in terms of absolute alcohol - my math lobe is starting to overheat and smell funny!
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

It depends which state you live in. Washington has the highest alcohol tax in the nation. You can find 1.75L of 40% Vodka (bottom shelf) with a shelf price of 10.99. But add the state liquor tax of $3.7708/L and then the add a 20% alcohol sales tax and you are at $19 out the door for that 10.99 bottle. (13.49 pounds sterling)

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Watauga wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:47 am Ah, I see the board doesn't have post ratings. Imagine a thumbs up emoticon!
We’ve got “smilies” (shown beside the text entry box). :thumbup: :wave: But you need to use the full editor to see them.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Tummydoc wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:53 am It depends which state you live in. Washington has the highest alcohol tax in the nation. You can find 1.75L of 40% Vodka (bottom shelf) with a shelf price of 10.99. But add the state liquor tax of $3.7708/L and then the add a 20% alcohol sales tax and you are at $19 out the door for that 10.99 bottle. (13.49 pounds sterling)
Cheap against Australian taxes and prices.

Geoff
The Baker
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Washington state tax revenue from alcohol in 2020 was 415.28 million USD. From cannabis was 468.81 million USD!!