New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

DeVHaas
Novice

Post by DeVHaas »

Hi Everyone
New to the craft but have recently purchased a 30 L Alembic still so trying to learn as much as possible before setting up. Cheers
Watauga
Novice

Re: Newbie

Post by Watauga »

New here too. I love the way an alembic looks. It's like alchemy!
stogie
Novice

Post by stogie »

Welcome to the site DeVHaas! Great idea to read / learn as much as possible before getting after it.
DeVHaas
Novice

Post by DeVHaas »

Thanks guys. amazed at how detailed and intricate distilling is. I have so much to learn but am committed. Glad I've found this site but youtube was a good initial step
DeVHaas
Novice

Post by DeVHaas »

Cold morning in NZ, Well I month on from buying my still I'm just a little closer to my 1st mash. Still trying to gain as much knowledge but realise I'm still a ways of but am finding this site great. :D
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I will be a little counter to some here. I read until my eyes crossed before running my first run. But things made a lot more sense after my first run. So I would recommend reading the safety threads and then making a cheap sugar wash or UJSSM from one of the Tried and true recipes. Then run it. Now go back and read all you can on theory, mashing, still builds and whatever trips your fancy. But it will all make more sense once you have done a run so it is more real.
DeVHaas
Novice

Post by DeVHaas »

Thanks subbrew, I feel I'm close to a 1st wash, still setting up my work space making sure everything is sussed. Trying to figure out my water supply both for the mash and cooling. I'm thinking gathering rainwater after filtering and boiling for my mash. Thanks for the advice