New member intro

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pkambrbn
Novice

New member intro

Post by Pkambrbn »

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I've been making bourbon for the last year as a pandemic hobby but now enjoy it more than my job. Been a scientist for 20+ years. Worked with all kinds of yeast and other microbes to generate new drugs. Now looking to have some more fun with yeast for myself. Using an 8 gallon milk can and a mash and boil for all grain whiskeys. Been a fun learning experience. Favorite bourbon to date is from the Tarnished Truth, but can't seem to make any batches as smooth as theirs. Don't have a still with 20 bubble plates either so not too worried
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: New member intro

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD. We also find distillation a form of therapy. Enjoy the forums.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Pkambrbn wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:20 pm I've been making bourbon for the last year as a pandemic hobby but now enjoy it more than my job.
Ya think?

Welcome, Pkambrbn! Lot of us here who can relate to that.

Yup, the distilling can get rather addictive. I'm right there with ya on the high-rye bourbons, they are mighty tasty, yeah? I'm sure if you start a thread on your recipe/process you can get input on what others are doing to get yummy results.

Enjoy the path,

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Hey, welcome In!
Funny how making good liquor soothes the soul. Have fun, and enjoy the journey.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Pkambrbn
Novice

Post by Pkambrbn »

Thanks everyone. I'm not doing much different than the recipes I read from all of you. I am getting curious about using oats in my . No idea what " mouth feel" means. Any bourbons you could recommend that use oats would be appreciated.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Since this is a welcome thread you might start your research doing a search with ‘Homedistiller’ and ‘oats’ or ‘mouthfeel’ but in the meantime:

https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/discover-oat-whiskey/

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer