New to Stilling

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

TheBandit_2020
Novice

New to Stilling

Post by TheBandit_2020 »

I’m new to distilling, so I’m not sure really where to begin. I went out and bought a 5 gallon still. I filled it with 2 gallons of water, 5 lbs. of sugar and 5lbs. cracked corn that I got from my local feed store. ( I haven’t found a recipe that sounded good so I’m starting with a 1:1 ratio). I started by bringing the water to a rolling boil, added in my corn, then added the sugar to help break it down. Let it cool to around 100-110 degrees. Dumped in 3 packets of 1/4 oz. (Fleischmann’s ActiveDry Yeast) I’ll attach a picture. I’m going to let it ferment for about 7 days. Outside in the heat. I live in South Louisiana, so it’s nice and hot with a lot of humidity. It’s supposed to be around 80 degrees all week. My question for you is did I do anything wrong? Or what could I do differently? Any advice or knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: New to Stilling

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to the hobby Bandit.
Others will be along shortly to answer your questions.
Any future questions need to be asked in the appropriate section of the forum..... we try to keep this part for welcomes only.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to HD. 1:1 ratio is what I've been using. To me it isn't as sharp on the tongue. Some recipes here call for 1.5 pounds+ per gallon. Good luck and read all you can.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Bandit,

Welcome! what you are making sounds close to UJSSM. You might want to read this thread https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... f=14&t=725 It will give you some pointers.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

welcome!
stogie
Novice

Post by stogie »

Hello Bandit! Welcome to the hobby~~

Keep it fun~~