Thank you in advance

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Billusmaxis
Novice

Thank you in advance

Post by Billusmaxis » Sat May 29, 2021 10:26 pm

Thanks for the add, looking forward to a lot of reading. I'm not currently equipped to make anything but have been making beer and wine for years now. this could be an interesting addition to my current hobbies.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Thank you in advance

Post by Deplorable » Sun May 30, 2021 6:42 am

I find it to be pretty rewarding. 😉
Enjoy the learning experience.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.
Lex iniusta non est lex

stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob » Sun May 30, 2021 6:49 am

Billusmaxis wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:26 pm
Thanks for the add, looking forward to a lot of reading. I'm not currently equipped to make anything but have been making beer and wine for years now. this could be an interesting addition to my current hobbies.
As long as you don't mind exploring rabbit holes you'll find it a great addition indeed.

Twisted Brick
Distiller

Post by Twisted Brick » Sun May 30, 2021 8:13 am

With your mash and ferment experience you're way ahead of the curve.

$.02: Do invest some time reviewing here what makes a still a competent working tool and avoid buying a cheap Chinese (or American) still just because they're, uh inexpensive.

Welcome!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer

Demy
Distiller

Post by Demy » Sun May 30, 2021 10:28 am

welcome!

subbrew
Swill Maker

Post by subbrew » Sun May 30, 2021 9:35 pm

Welcome. Just getting started myself. But I have found the prior fermentation experience to be useful, if nothing else you understand what you are reading. I have only done rum and UJSSM but my prior experience with mead made both make sense, i.e. fermenting sugar without a lot of nutrient. My only suggestion is while looking for a still do not go small. It takes a surprising amount of wash/wort to make a significant amount of final product. I managed to start with a used 8 gal still which is OK, but I already have almost everything need to put together a keg boiler with a 3 inch CCVM column. The rabbit holes to drop down in this forum are endless.