Hello From Melbourne, Australia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

BobbyB
Novice

Hello From Melbourne, Australia

Post by BobbyB »

Hi All,

looking forward to reading and learning in the forums, I have a Turbo 500 still and have just purchased an alembic pot still to try to move towards a grain whiskey. Lots still to learn, but have started my first Tomato Paste Wash to start to move away from the pre packaged supplies. I will be interested to see how it compares with the turbo products.. Cheers
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello From Melbourne, Australia

Post by Sporacle »

Awesome, enjoy and welcome
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Welcome mate,

Good to see you are already off the pre packaged stuff. Plenty of good info on moving onto AG whiskey around here. Enjoy the ride.

Ash
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Set your standards high an stick to em.

So I'm tole
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Welcome from Northern Victoria.

Geoff
The Baker
BobbyB
Novice

Post by BobbyB »

Hi Guys Thanks for the welcome, i'm very new to forums. Im finding the move from premix's to the grain based mash's a bit of a struggle, so many websites and instructions, but nothing yet that is clearly making sense so will continue reading before making the plunge. Also getting flavours correct via the internet is a bit of a challenge as there is nothing to taste to get a palate reference.. Are there any meetup/groups/ clubs in or near melbourne Australia that do this type of thing ?
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Check out some of the posts by SCD.

Here is his Easy Large batch mashing
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=65703

It scales down also, and his recipes have large and small scale recipes with instructions. I went from never doing anything to getting reasonable results straight away by following them.

Other good options are brew in a bag using your boiler.

Have a bit of a read around the place, there is a mountain of info but the "Easy Mash" I found quick to pick up from the instructions here.