New member here

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Whiskey_Mike
Novice

New member here

Post by Whiskey_Mike »

Hey y’all I’m from California and use an 8 gallon milk can with a 2 inch copper column with a shotgun condenser. I use a 1500 watt electric heater element to run the still. I’ve got a few runs of sugar shine under my belt with good results. Looking to get into AG distilling especially wheated mashes. Been doing a ton of reading and already picked up a lot of good info thus far. Cheers looking forward to learning more :wave:
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Re: New member here

Post by Corn Cracker »

Welcome, Mike
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome, Mike. Fellow CA native here.

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Virginnybouy
Novice

Post by Virginnybouy »

Hey dude Yur rig sounds cool , I’m also in Cali , I’ve got a few rigs a 5 gallon reflux from stillspirits.com , a 15.5 gallon homemade potstil/ reflux I made
From a keg and a 40 gallon homemade unit I made converted unit I made from an emergency stainless eyewash tank that was intended for eyewash in a chemical facility in case someone got their eyes splashed with harmful stuff …. The tank is amaizing the column I use on it is a sleeve for a UV water filter it’s also stainless & I pack it with layers of copper scrubbers & pre 1981 pennies. This is my main unit I ferment in 55 gallon food grade drums & I mostly do all grain whiskey mash where I ferment I the grain , which does not require me to separate the solid grist From my wash . When the grain floats on top of the wash ….. I transferred wah to another or several other vessels ….. prior to distillation I like to refrigerate my wash to allow the solids to sink and “ rack” ;””btw I hate this term”” …. The fluid free Fromm suspended yeast & grist solids off into the still & cook it . My distillation process is my own secret method I won’t disclose to just anyone but it obviously changes depending on if I’m stripping , using a lot still , reflux , if I have a tall column , if I’m using plates etc. It’s so variable from that point on . & it’s continuously variable even further as ther is so much margin for creativity which is why this subject is indeed a formidable artform. Now …. Let’s talk shop 😎
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Whiskey_Mike wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:52 pm can with a 2 inch copper column with a shotgun condenser.
Welcome Mike., what do you mean by column.
A packed column? A plated column? Or maybe just a pot still with a long riser.
It gets kind of confusing if we don't all stay with the same lingo.
Whiskey_Mike
Novice

Post by Whiskey_Mike »

It’s just a pot still that I’ll sometimes pack with copper to get a little reflux going [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202106 ... 5d2626.jpg[/IMG]
miletwo
Novice

Post by miletwo »

Welcome! And I thought I was behind enemy lines... you got me beat! Nice rig.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Whiskey_Mike wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:50 am It’s just a pot still that I’ll sometimes pack with copper to get a little reflux going.
Ok thanks.....more correct to just call it a pot then.......saves confusion for all.
Any reflux from packing that won't be noticeable.....or be an extremely tiny amount
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Welcome to the forum Mike

Slainte