Why I joined

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Virginnybouy
Novice

Why I joined

Post by Virginnybouy »

So I was makin some grist that I like to call “ corn squeezins “ & was looking o monje on how to use glucose amylase in the conversions of unfermetabke sugars in raw corn to fermentable sugars. I discovered a thread on this site where some folks were exploring using raw sweet corn to make liquor. It’s not uncommon and I grew up in the hills of Virginia doing this exact thing. What I do & what I was taught to do is pick/ harvest & shuck the corn swiftly macerate it “ the use of an immersion blender makes us go fairly quick enough. ………. Then I use an apple press🤓 that’s right I squeeze it …. It ain’t called corn squeezins for nuthin…… put that blended up raw sweet corn in its milky stage of ripening ….. being in it’s premature stage …. & you can grow a crop of Fresh sweet corn and take iodine tests or refractomer tests of a small sample
Of the fruits as it matures on the cob til you know formlynkys ready to use while it’s full of fermentable sugars …… macérate it & do not add water I repeat ….. do not addd water at all …… put it into an pole
Press & press it …. Gather your must ,” cuz I think technically I could be called a must” and then take a ph reading …. Adjust cuz usually it’s too acidic a dash of gypsum works good not too much mix well …add 1 lb of malted corn or 6 row barley per gallon or 2 tsp of Alfa Amylase or zebstar . Bring temp to 127°F for 20 minutes , then raise to 153°F for 20 minutes then raise to 155°for 1 hour , chill to stable yeast temps depending on strain etc. then pitch. Leave brain solids if any in the mix let ferment open for 48 hours then when stuff is floating on top decant into a sealed container with an airlock to allow gas to expel while preventing air from entering the fermenter . Take gravity readings & distill when ready .
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Re: Why I joined

Post by Corn Cracker »

Mmmm, i bet that's good.
Welcome
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens