Hey! Just joined!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Woodstock_Westy
Novice

Hey! Just joined!

Post by Woodstock_Westy »

Hey Team! Sam here from New Zealand.

Since the 1st lockdown happened last year i have been keen to be a little less supermarket/shop dependent. i was initially up and down in regards to making my own spirits as i didnt know where to start. i knew nothing about anything to do with the craft. Thanks to the internet i was even more puzzled than before but it did excite me. After watching hours of you tube i decided to by a T500 still. This was relatively cheap here and basically no way of screwing it up (not entirely true). i made about 5 batches in 2 months trying the different turbo yeasts. They all tasted the same but different if you know what i mean. These did teach me alot, the basics of course. What i did find is i over researched and was annoyed going into the home brew stores and they couldnt answer my questions and basically didnt really care about the craft.

I quickly became very bored and lost my intense passion for the craft as the Turbo set ups are too easy. I now had a good stash in the garage and did have a lot of fun experimenting with off the shelf flavors but when people applauded my product i didnt feel too accomplished as i was only producing flavored neutral IMO. I did step it up and made use of the guavas on the tree. i macerated these over 3 weeks. 2 weeks stripping the bright red colors, then mashed and left for 1 week, filtered and consumed. That was fun and tasted great. Real sweet fruit so no sugar re-added.

Last month i committed to my 1st all grain wash. it is now aging with charred American oak. The passion is back! Hence why i have signed up. I think that should be shared somewhere else though? i modified my T500 to act like a pot still with power controller. Have also just purchased a Euro Still 60 with reflux head and a homemade pot head. Has 2 elements, 2000w and 1500w. Cant wait to fire this up one day just hope my garage power supply (Amps) is up up to the task. Now my whiskey/bourbon is aging i think im going to try a rum next. Love the info on this site! Wish me luck. feel free to say hi!
Chur
Novice

Re: Hey! Just joined!

Post by Chur »

Welcome Sam, Expat Christchurch Kiwi here. Got into this hobby during the lockdown too! built an all stainless 50L keg setup, been enjoying making and flavoring multiple batches of sweet feed so far and a batch of Feijoa wine that will probably go thought the still too as I hate the things but couldn't see them go to waste in the garden.
Woodstock_Westy
Novice

Cheers bro. Yeah I wasted so much fruit over summer. Keen as to make use of the peaches and pears with something next round.
Virginnybouy
Novice

Post by Virginnybouy »

Hi Sam , glad Yur digging in. If
You need any advice feel free to ask….. btw my ex girlfriend from New Zealand ,named Kate has a brother named Sam and a sister named Amy …. ;)” just ASK” have fun !
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers
Chris
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Welcome, sounds like your on the right path to premium spirits
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Woodstock_Westy
Novice

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Welcome Sam, glad you've got the passion back!

Slainte