New guy

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradank
Novice

New guy

Post by Bradank »

Evening everyone!

New member, long time dreamer of distilling. I was told this was the place to go for research and learning the craft. I have'nt pulled the trigger on any stills just yet, I'm hoping to learn as much as possible over my journey in life to make the best dang shine and whiskey I can make! i look forward to talking with you guys in the future!

Bradan
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: New guy

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Brandon......holding off on buying a still is a great first move.
Be very sure of what still you need to make the products that you wish to drink before buying.
Jumping in to fast is probably the number one mistake made by newbs.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: New guy

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome aboard Bradan!

I second Bill's advice about not pulling the trigger too soon on purchasing a still. Still type/design, capacity, speed, materials, and heating method among other items are all attributes that can add up to a rig that is a joy to use day in and day out versus tolerating a frustrating shortcoming(s). A pot still is a an excellent tool to start learning your career, and if its modular, can be easily converted to make neutral spirits down the line.

Enjoy the journey,

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer