First wine, now spirits

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

First wine, now spirits

Post by Dougmatt »

Hi all,

I’ve been reading the board the last several weeks to try to understand the journey I’m embarking on. Thanks to all those who have been willing to share their knowledge and thoughts here as I’ve benefited greatly already. I am new to distilling, but have been making grape wine for several years (over 20 batches) and done some washes that I’ve consumed (ex: skeeter pee). Most of my learning in wine making came from a forum like this one first asking questions, then answering them.

My first, current and only still so far is a SpeakEasy 5 gallon still, running on a Duxtop induction plate. I made it through my cleaning runs, just finished my first strip run of a Cabernet brandy and have a sugar wash in my primary bubbling away. Next up planning a cornflake whiskey and then have the grains ordered for a bourbon. (Uh oh, seems like I’ve caught the bug!)

Thanks again for all the knowledge shared and hope to one day contribute some myself.

Doug
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First wine, now spirits

Post by Archee72 »

Welcome
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Welcome.
Might as well start reading the still build threads. I started last fall with an 8 gal still and soon discovered how much liquid must be distilled to get into the gallons of product instead of mere quarts. Been reading build thread ever since and have most of the parts for a CCVM keg still. Now I am reading and watching all I can on silver soldering and brazing.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

subbrew wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 pm Might as well start reading the still build threads.
You are probably right. As a wine maker I started with a wine making kit (1 primary and 2 carboys). Now have 15+ carboys, 2 barrels, and a whole lot of “other stuff”. This still is good for a little training and fun, but I see a bigger / different one in my future.

Maybe call this a still with training wheels :D
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Dougmatt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:45 am You are probably right. As a wine maker I started with a wine making kit (1 primary and 2 carboys). Now have 15+ carboys, 2 barrels, and a whole lot of “other stuff”. This still is good for a little training and fun, but I see a bigger / different one in my future.
Hey, it happens! All-grain spirits (IMO) make the finest-tasting spirits and the economies of scale/time of distilling beg for a keg-sized boiler, like subbrew notes. I started out distilling with a half bbl keg that has now grown to 6 kegs of various sizes, assorted stainless vessels and a handful of carboys. Enjoying builds and working with copper is a whole 'nother rabbit hole you get to explore. :D

Welcome to HD.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer