i'm in it for the tecdhnical challenge

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

zeHamish
Novice

i'm in it for the tecdhnical challenge

Post by zeHamish »

ahoi hoi

not really new to chemistry or distillation but recently decided to apply some best practice nuttiness to what will probably turn out to be allot of effort for very little reward.

that won't stop me though.

automation and efficiency are both OC tendencies and my present task: post distillation polishing. reducing the time and effort required and improving the outcome for neutral spirit.

a quick search hasn't yielded anything particularly on point..yet.

time will tell if i ultimately become a browser or one of the locals but for now....more searching...

h

some context notes:
Still: fractional designed by an engineer, built by a boiler maker, stupid tall column but pushes a nice 98%
Goals: neutral spirit as clean as ....as automated as possible,... as quick as possible

what got me started: 'rona retardation which stripped ISO cleaning fluids from shelves for months and needing cleaning fluid my gelsoft AEGs
why continue? I like the chemistry and process of distillation more than the product. and the gallons of cleaning fluid i have on hand at any given time.
Last edited by zeHamish on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: i'm in it for the tecdhnical challenge

Post by acfixer69 »

Not much of an introduction. Might want to add a general location but not necessary. Welcome to HD.
zeHamish
Novice

Post by zeHamish »

everything else you will find out with engagement but point taken :) not really one for story telling, nothing specifically noteworthy to tell.

Located in: Australia - SEQ

I am probably going to learn allot from here given what i've already read.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Hamish
zeHamish wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:15 pm not really new to chemistry or distillation
zeHamish wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:15 pm Still: fractional designed by an engineer, built by a boiler maker, stupid tall column but pushes a nice 98%
A few things stand out in your post.....maybe a refresher course in distilling and chemistry are in order.
You can not get 98% abv with a reflux column no matter how tall.
Ive seen engineers come and go from distilling forums.....plenty of them thought they knew about stills.....many new very little in fact.
zeHamish
Novice

Post by zeHamish »

thank you.

floating around here today it is obvious that you lot have knowledge and skillsets that highlight how much i don't know about distillation beyond basic process...

the 98 came off the parrot on the last run so, dunnno.

but anyway...still tons of stuff about what you guys are doing to mash, prep and things i didn't even know were things.

haven't found any material for my specific challenge but going to read and search for a week before putting it out there.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

welcome, read up on azetrope. that may help to understand the limitations of distillation and columns. then find a way to calibrate your alc meter.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

zeHami

Thanks for introducing yourself in the New to Distillation "Welcome Center" :thumbup:
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Welcome

Good to see more Aussies joining up.
zeHamish wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:15 pm

the 98 came off the parrot on the last run so
Could be temp of product vs calibration temp or the calibration could just be a little off.

Lots of polishing info around, from more traditional methods with oak and age, to things that might interest you more like ultrasonic aging.

Either way you sound well underway and have fun

Ash
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi, Hamish.
Welcome.
From northern Victoria.
Not that far away really....
I have a grandson in SE Q.
Geoff
The Baker
zeHamish
Novice

Post by zeHamish »

Oh chebus, the more I read the more I think...

Thank you everyone for the keywords for more reading 😂 you don't know what you don't know until someone shoves it in your face

By the time I'm actually finished sorting through the information here I'll have competed my current test 👍😂
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Just to circle back to your comments about your desire to automate,,at the hobby level, automation will not really provide the benefit that you think it will.
Everything on the hobby sized system is well within reach.

Also, to be clear, very frequently new members often associate automation with having the ability to leave one's still unattended. An unattended still is a very bad idea and is discouraged here to the enth degree.

Now, if you are trying to put together a proof of concept that you can scale to the professional production volumes, by all means go ahead. But in order for your automation to help you (rather than chase one's tail), you really need to first fully understand optimal equipment behavior.
Thus far your added response to this thread tell me it will be some time before you will be ready to automate anything.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Welcome, plenty of info here, Main thing is enjoy what your doing! I'm not a big "drinker" either but, i like learning and apparently i like good homemade liquor better than store bought.
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome to HD zeHamish! Interested in what you’re running if you don’t mind posting some pics / etc in a new thread once you get situated.

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
zeHamish
Novice

Post by zeHamish »

pics will come when i do my next run but that may be some time.

on the back of the calibration thing, and its cold here atm but the kit is @20C and what was 98 out of the parrot is today 92 on the bench so, something for me to be mindful of but ultimately not a terrible issue for my use case

i am risk adverse. my father was a fireman and my siblings set fire to pretty much everything so automation for me is about temperature management, limit alerts (arduino, because why not) and possibly flow control on the condenser but i don't think that is worth it.

at present for a 50lt run its an 8 hour stint of checks the temp, gets up on the stool, fiddles with the shit, gets down off the stool...its great exercise for sure but a little problematic if you're trying to get anything else done, like work :)
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:D If you're risk adverse then I would suggest that you treat the distillation as your work that you need to get done. Enjoy
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman