New Future Distiller

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Manic Mechanic
Novice

New Future Distiller

Post by Manic Mechanic »

Hello All:
Finally received my link to activate. New to distilling in USA Midwest. Spent the last 6 months studying centuries of distilling through current standards. Fascinating. Have read books, and read, and reread all newbie info on this website. I have a realistic understanding of the challenges and consequences of home distilling. I have a solid understanding of the dangers inherent to this process. I also have a basic understanding of the chemistry involved with different chemicals ( some bad (dangerous), some desirable) and the various vaporization temps. I believe that I am wired correctly to safely enter this environment.
. Why distill: Recently retired .Have the time to devote to this project.
It's not about the booze, it's about the quality of flavor that can be produced by a home distiller. ( maybe the next big popular flavor?)
Soft Skills: Patience, attention to detail, risk management, (skydiver, aerobatic pilot), Build custom high performance cars as a hobby, Chef of the
household! It's about taste not calories.
Current status:
Built Ian Smileycopper reflux still replica. Using 55K BTU burner with 67 quart gas one stainless kettle. Intend to start with rum (tried and true recipe) and no packing. Added 6 foot extension to propane hose with emergency ball valve shutoff, extended distillate output tube on an angle 3 feet away to keep further from flame. Have splitter for water to condenser and to fire hose, with back up fire extinguisher. Boiled water to check for vapor leaks, all good, ran vinegar water solution for cleaning. Just finished birdwatcher recipe for first cleaning run and to walk through distillation process. Will test 150ml at a crack in catch beaker for alcohol content (correct hydrometer) and forward to mason jars. will start with a quantity of 450 ml in jars for cuts. I will sniff but not taste product from each jar after 24 hours to get a beginning idea of what I need to learn.
Looking forward to joining the team. I will need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance.
Manic Mechanic
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: New Future Distiller

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD. Hope you haven't been waiting since April to hear back. Uncle Jess has been cleaning up some blocked domains this week may be why the wait. Enjoy the forums.
Virginnybouy
Novice

Post by Virginnybouy »

If Yur running rum … or “rum runnin “
, so to speak ….. I’d recommend packing yur column. Rum tends to lend a bit of some intriguing off flavors that wenter and then exit off the stage while you complete your distillation process . Packing your column , “ creating a denser passive reflux” will clean this Anomaly up quite a bit and make your experience much smoother as a new stiller …. Trust me cane sugar is not a take all the flavor in type of wash espeacially if you out in some molasses …. It’s for some sulfur in it & it can get grimy to say the least …. Packing yur column is a sure way of getting the best with out taking in the worst ……… in this case …. But not always … can ya dig ?
Manic Mechanic
Novice

Post by Manic Mechanic »

thanks. I will put some light packing in the column but still run it as a pot still.