New Member Banana Brandy

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Richy Rich
Novice

New Member Banana Brandy

Post by Richy Rich »

Hello Everyone :D

Just joined and wanted to share my first run experience.

I found a simple 5 gallon Banana Mash recipe online and made that my first project. I used my brand new shiney 8 gallon pot still.

During fermentation, I couldn't believe how fruity the smell was, coming from the airlock. It smelled great! I had no issues during fermentation at all. Begginers Luck?

It took 17 days until it stopped working. I made sure of that. Then, came run day!

I had one issue distilling with the condenser, it's pot is not really big enough, and I was recirculating water with a pump from a 5 gallon bucket. I found out very soon the water was not going to stay cool long enough. So, I ended up adding ice to the water to keep it cool. A valuable lesson learned!! But I have an idea to fix that issue before next time, using a water hose 😎

Anyway, I feel like I might have been a lil heavy on the cuts, because I ended up with only 2 1/2 quarts of the good stuff. It turned out very well!

After I let it sit for only 3 days, the smell and taste changed big time. It only got better. Very fruity and smooth. I won't say it tasted or smelled like banana, just very fruity lol! With a good kick too 👍

So, I consider it a success, being my first time. I learned a lot as well.

I have a Strawberry Mash, and a Pineapple/Mango working now. Using the same recipe for Banana. Both are looking good so far.

Thanks For Reading!
Richy Rich
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: New Member Banana Brandy

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Welcome in. I hope I don't burst your bubble with this question, but did you do cleaning runs before you did your brandy run? A new still, built or bought, can have nasties in it from the building process that can make you very sick. Read the info in my signature to learn more.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
mkuluz
Novice

Re: New Member Banana Brandy

Post by mkuluz »

Hey RR. Do you have that banana brady recipe handy?