Hello from Central IL

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kilroy07
Novice

Hello from Central IL

Post by Kilroy07 »

Hello everyone-

I'd like to introduce myself.
I have decided "This year's project" is to "learn the craft".
(Yes, I am fully aware this will be a lifelong journey.)

I've been a hobbyist brewer for awhile now (Beer, Wine, Mead) and Love dark (not spiced) rums, brandy and so forth.
Recently I had a batch of blueberry mead re-ferment in the bottle... and was about to toss it when I thought... Didn't I JUST watch a youtube video about something like this?... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htOVMa-_4WA
So here I am.

I am reading/learning and (most importantly) collecting equipment/supplies for my first build.
I have a half and quarter keg secured, A control kit from Still dragon which I plan on dressing up with fancy lights and switches.
My plan is to have a modular kit that will work with 2" ferrules with a shotgun condenser so I can swap equipment between kegs.

I have already learned a LOT from everyone (Thanks BTW!) and hope to make a few new friends along the way.

Timothy
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Hello from Central IL

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD Timothy. Sounds to me like you have a solid plan. Modular done right is priceless. Possibilities are endless. Enjoy.
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Welcome Tim - you dont have a pal called Tickle by any chance ? :lol:
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome Timothy!

A keg is a great size to start your distilling career and indeed, your fermenting background will serve you well.

Enjoy your dive down the rabbit hole.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome!
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Welcome. I think you'll be happy with going modular. Lots options. Your brewing past will serve you well. Lots of people are exploring the different types of malts for distilling instead of just using distiller malts. You beer guys have been through that already. Living in the Midwest is a blessing for access to all sorts of grains, and white oak. Your livestock feed stores have some great options at affordable prices.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You're on the right track, I hope your plan includes copper pipe for the riser/column. Then it's the perfect plan.
A 2 inch all copper vapor path, all the way through the condenser is an excellent way to go.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.