Hello

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

ThouShaltStill
Novice

Hello

Post by ThouShaltStill »

Hey I finally got around to making an account after lurking through the forums for a few months. Thanks for the info this place really is a goldmine of knowledge.
ash_from_oz
Novice

Re: Hello

Post by ash_from_oz »

Welcome

Do you already have a still? are you making anything?

But yes you are correct this place has wealth of knowledge

Ash
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Welcome aboard
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
ThouShaltStill
Novice

Post by ThouShaltStill »

ash_from_oz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:04 am Welcome

Ash
Yes I've got 15.5 keg with a copper column (pot). Then my old man's (got rest him) 15 gallon copper boiler to worm condenser that leaks like a SOB. I plan on upgrading my setup to a reflux eventually but until then I'll just be doing multiple runs. and yeah just sugar washes at the moment sugar or corn syrup. But I'm really wanting to see what the fuss is all about with ujssm.
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

ThouShaltStill wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 pm
ash_from_oz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:04 am Welcome

Ash
Yes I've got 15.5 keg with a copper column (pot). Then my old man's (got rest him) 15 gallon copper boiler to worm condenser that leaks like a SOB. I plan on upgrading my setup to a reflux eventually but until then I'll just be doing multiple runs. and yeah just sugar washes at the moment sugar or corn syrup. But I'm really wanting to see what the fuss is all about with ujssm.
Nice, looks like you've got plenty to get you going and make some tasty drinks.

UJSSM is a great starter and you don't need to stop at just favouring the sugar wash with corn(not saying that there is anything wrong with it, I just prefer bourbon to a straight corn whiskey). I've got a couple going now that more resemble bourbon grain bills, but are getting the alcohol from white sugar. Nice easy way to build up some drinking stock, especially since I like to mix it with coke, don't want to waste something that I've slaved over like an AG.

That being said, what I've been getting out of simple AG mashing mostly with the SCD CROW recipe is a damn good product (for my untrained palate) and aside from squeezing grain, isn't that much more work than a UJSSM.

Happy travels and the more you read the better your drinkin' is gonna be.

Ash