Hello from Jimbob.

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbob 1995
Novice

Hello from Jimbob.

Post by Jimbob 1995 »

I am a beginner lent everything I know of YouTube just trying to make some good shine

Im in the process of comparing different lengths of time for the settling of my fermented sugar and bakers yeast wash, have so far done 2, 1 at one week and 1 at one day, tastes the same which is why I'm here, after reading all comments I've decide to give my experiment away and just copy someone that came make neutral spirit with out the shitty taste.

I'm currently running a home made put still on a gas burner, running pretty hot, not sure of ml/hour but temp around 185F
If you have succeeded in doing this please reply to this with a recipe and your process or just email me .........................
Getting around 35%
What am I doing wrong, any help will be greatly appreciated
Jimbob
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Hello from Jimbob.

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Hello Jimbob, welcome to Home Distiller.
Your first post should be here in the Welcome Center, I moved it here for you. Ive also edited your email address out of this post.
Learning everything you know from Youtube is possibly your first mistake, The information from this forum is a whole lot better and much more reliable.
Lots of things in your first post stand out as not being the right ways to make a decent.
Jimbob 1995 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 pm I'm currently running a home made put still on a gas burner, running pretty hot, not sure of ml/hour but temp around 185F
A pot still is the wrong still for making neutral to begin with, secondly you cant run a still by temperature......you have no control over that temperature.
Jimbob 1995 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 pm I've decide to give my experiment away and just copy someone that came make neutral spirit with out the shitty taste.
Jimbob 1995 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 pm Getting around 35%
If its coming off the still at 35% Im not surprised its tasting shitty.
Lastly the Welcome Center is reserved as a place for you to introduce your self and for members to greet you. Please post any questions you have in an appropriate area of the forum, I'm sure you will get the answers you need then.
The novice distillers section would be a good starting point. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Hello, Jimbob and welcome
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

welcome in. 35% for low wines sounds about right. have a look at some of the other forums and if you get stumped, ask questions in that forum...there are lots of people happy to help.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
miletwo
Novice

Post by miletwo »

Welcome! Read up a ton and experiment a ton.

I personally don't find straight sugar shine to be all that appealing, especially if your pot efficiency is that low. First recommendation would be to run it low and slow, a couple of drops per second at most, cut out the heads and tails and see if those hearts don't taste a whole lot better. You can experiment with blending back in heads and tails once you know if the heart product tastes like what you're after.

Have fun learning and experimenting. If you don't, this might not be the hobby for you.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Welcome Jimbob
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..