New Here, Not There Yet but Learning

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

LemonLoaf
Novice

New Here, Not There Yet but Learning

Post by LemonLoaf »

Hi!
Hailing from the bottom of the globe in ZA, South Africa!
Studied Wine-making and now on to broaden my knowledge, thought to build a small still and get stuck into making some other alcohols for a while during the off-seasons down here to keep me busy and learning.
Have lurked around this site on and off for a year or two, finding inspiration in some posts and recipes in others and decided to properly join finally.

A mate of mine has been making his own brandy for a while and after having a few more brainwaves than I probably should have, thought I'd give him a run for his money with a couple liquids of my own. Ready to feel and taste all the failures and bad experiments that I am keen to try and improve.

Currently messing around with sugar washes, birdwatchers mainly, and infusing the distilled alcohol for some interesting flavor combos I've been wanting to try for a while.
A Grappa, grape husk brandy, is the next interest for next season along with normal brandy and some infusions I'm keen on testing out.
Made a basic pot still from an old pressure cooker with some copper pipe through the lid and a basic condenser on the down side, works well enough for now. Will look for something better and more reliable when the money comes my way.

Look forward to interacting with the resources on this site and expanding the knowledge of the craft!
Stay rad, keep learning.

-LemonLoaf
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: New Here, Not There Yet but Learning

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to HD. I would highly recommend not using the pressure cooker if it's aluminum. Aluminum is an alloy and when used for distillation it can leach into your hooch. I know starting out you want something in the jar, but it isn't worth your health. Search for a cheap stainless steel pot and bowl the size. Good luck and enjoy the read.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

SmokyMtn wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:59 am Welcome to HD. I would highly recommend not using the pressure cooker if it's aluminum. Aluminum is an alloy and when used for distillation it can leach into your hooch. I know starting out you want something in the jar, but it isn't worth your health. Search for a cheap stainless steel pot and bowl the size. Good luck and enjoy the read.
Don't disagree with the advise, but the reason is a little different. Aluminum would stay in the backset, so unless you're drinking it...

Even then it would be no different than eating a cup of your grandma's tomato sauce. The reaction for both is low ph food/ drink in aluminum pots (not the alcohol). This causes pitting, and the case of hot boiling alcohol leaking out is the safety concern. Not toxicity of the end spirit.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, Shine on.

Interesting.

Geoff
The Baker
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

welcome LemonLoaf. myself from RSA. there are much better options for a potstill even in RSA. my concern with presure cookers as stills is synthetic seals and size. do have a look in the build area on here and you will see many better options. i envey you that have access to grapes. welcome and enjoy the journey.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?