Uninitiated

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hambone II
Novice

Uninitiated

Post by Hambone II »

Totally uninitiated but distilling-curious. Had a specific question to ask, but I have considerable reading to do first.

Turns out the answer to my question is hotly disputed here, so not sure I'm ever going to get a satisfactory answer, but I will try after complying with the "Read This First" rules.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Uninitiated

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Aboard HB2
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Hey HB welcome to HD!

Reading is a great plan and very likely to satisfy your curiosity. It's a deep rabbit hole, so make sure you're sitting somewhere comfortable lol Ask good questions when you're ready.

Have fun, play safe!
Last edited by Expat on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Corn Cracker »

Welcome. you'll be fine, plenty of info to dig through
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

You will find answers here, and as you have noticed sometimes more than one. That is not a bad thing, many things in life can be accomplished in more than one manner with neither one being "the right way". In those cases it gives you options to choose what will work best for your set up, time, etc. Or experiment with multiple methods, or make combinations.

I see this hobby similar to home brewing 25 years ago. Home brewing drove a lot of the innovation in beer styles and even some methods. Some like brew in a bag do not scale up but many of the flavors and styles have. This happened because of the low risk and low cost of failure associated with home brewing compared to commercial. If a home brewer makes something that taste like crap, oh well, dump it and you are out perhaps $50. And you don't even have to tell anyone. On the commercial scale the cost is more, the equipment was tied up when it could have been producing something saleable and there is reputation risk to the brewer. Same here, as long as you are safe, experiment. You produce something that taste like cleaner, use it to start a bonfire as you plan your next try. But I also suspect we will see flavors and new liquors never heard of before as the hobby grows and a few home distillers become commercial craft distillers. So have fun, who knows where it will lead
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

If a home brewer makes something that taste like crap, oh well, dump it
Run it!

Welcome to HD HBII!

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Hambone II wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:28 am Turns out the answer to my question is hotly disputed here, so not sure I'm ever going to get a satisfactory answer, but I will try after complying with the "Read This First" rules.
Welcome to the forum.

If something is hotly disputed here, it's often because a newbie doesn't understand some simple physics or chemistry and is a convert of some Youtuber who doesn't understand that what he's preaching to the masses is flawed. When that happens, the best thing you can do is research the subject from a scientific source, rather than choosing a side or surfing Youtube.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome, make a good reading then ask your questions as well, don't fear :D
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Welcome to HD! Noble name, BTW…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..