Noob in SoCal

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

cmac62
Novice

Noob in SoCal

Post by cmac62 »

I've been brewing for 6+ years and recently got an Anvil Foundry 10.5 and heard this is a good boiler for a still. I'm contemplating what kind of still to get, but will purchase in the next month or so. I like the flexibility of combo stills, but need to do lots of reading before I make up my mind. Look forward to learning lots from the folks on here.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Noob in SoCal

Post by SmokyMtn »

cmac62 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:13 am but need to do lots of reading before I make up my mind.
Yes you do. No need to get in a hurry. Patience is the key to this hobby. Welcome and enjoy the read
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome, I would think of a CCVM system as a base.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome would love to see pictures!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome, cmac!

Yes, reading is good! The learning curve looks formidable at first, but gets easier as you get after it.

It appears the 10.5 Foundry is tall (~29" and narrow (~12") and might be on the lighter side (compared to a keg). You might want to determine if the lid is stout enough to support the weight of a CCVM, particularly if running a longish liebig.

Adding still to homebrewing setup
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

cmac62 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:13 am I'm contemplating what kind of still to get
Worth contemplating a lot........one of the biggest mistakes we see here is people jumping into buying to soon, they buy the wrong still for what they hope to do .......or some cheap crappy thing that requires upgrading / replacing within weeks or months.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

You might want to determine if the lid is stout enough to support the weight of a CCVM, particularly if running a longish liebig.

Of course you can supply the main support independently of the lid.
Say with legs and clamps...
Or clamps fixed to the wall...
Or to the ceiling supports...

Geoff
The Baker
cmac62
Novice

Post by cmac62 »

I was thinking about this still: https://milehidistilling.com/product/2- ... pro-tower/

Or possibly the Mini pro. Would this be an okay entry level still? I like the idea of a dual purpose still that can be used for both whiskey and neutrals. I'm not very handy and trying to make one would cause way too much angst and cursing. Any feedback is appreciated.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You'll quickly overpower that liebig.
The small diameter take off the the liebig will create some pretty high vapor velocity at more than a broken stream, and you'll use a lot of water to condense the vapors.
You'd be better served to build something if you can solder.
Ask me how I know...😉
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cmac62
Novice

Post by cmac62 »

Deplorable I'm guessing the Liebig is the condenser? There is way more to this than making lighting a fire. LOL
cmac62
Novice

Post by cmac62 »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=82812 I read this whole thread and that is a cool looking CCVM, but I don't solder and I'm afraid the learning curve will be way more expensive than paying someone to make it. My neighbor recently completed a welding certificate and needs to practice on SS. Maybe he would be willing to weld/solder for shine.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

cmac62 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:07 pm viewtopic.php?f=15&t=82812 I read this whole thread and that is a cool looking CCVM, but I don't solder and I'm afraid the learning curve will be way more expensive than paying someone to make it. My neighbor recently completed a welding certificate and needs to practice on SS. Maybe he would be willing to weld/solder for shine.
PM sent
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

cmac62 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:20 pm I was thinking about this still: https://milehidistilling.com/product/2- ... pro-tower/

Or possibly the Mini pro. Would this be an okay entry level still? I like the idea of a dual purpose still that can be used for both whiskey and neutrals. I'm not very handy and trying to make one would cause way too much angst and cursing. Any feedback is appreciated.
I don't like those stills, never have, never will, "Dual Purpose" Its a pot still with a bit of reflux..........it wont hold a candle to a proper well made reflux still.
Mile high seem to sell hundreds of them so they keep on churning them out, Newbs keep buying them because they seem like a bargain ......Wow a still that will do all that for only this much. :crazy:
Building a still isnt hard .......very few here started with any building experience.
Its not that very long ago that you either built your own or you didn't participate in the hobby, there was no such thing as shop bought.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

cmac62 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:20 pm I was thinking about this still: https://milehidistilling.com/product/2- ... pro-tower/

I’m very happy with my milehi rig. If you’re going to get the pro go for the 8 gallon. Ask them if they’ll swap out the SS riser and reflux for copper. I don’t know if you’ve ever bought a gun safe but once you do, it’s not long before you wished you had bought a bigger one. Building your own still would be a way more satisfying adventure though. You could easily just get a milk can boiler and then add a copper riser and Liebig without too much know how. I’m currently working on replacing the “shop bought” stuff with my own builds. Good luck! :thumbup:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Howdy Noob!

I’m a hybrid kinda guy. Started 'collecting' components a number of years back, did a ton of research and ended up building my own copper pot head on a 30 l /8 gal ss milk can on propane. 32" 3/4 over 1/2 copper liebig (condenser). Soldering copper isnt that tough with a propane torch.

Welcome, and take your time while making decisions. lots of paths, plenty of time to explore.

Best Drifter
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Way past the Welcome, lets start this topic in a new thread.