Hi

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

ShelbyMedicRN
Novice

Hi

Post by ShelbyMedicRN »

Hey guys, I'm Donald. I've brewed beer for about a decade and recently acquired a 8 gallon stainless Mile Hi reflux still. Making my first batch on Thursday!
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hi

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, that still should serve you well!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Welcome! Be sure to do all the prerequisite cleaning runs.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:thumbup: Enjoy and have fun
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Making beer will teach you a whole heap about making beer......it won't teach you about cuts.....why boilers boil at the temps they do.....how oaking and aging in barrels works......and a million other things.....two very different hobbys.....they have fermentation in common.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

SBB, I think you are a little harsh. I find distilling to be an extension of beer brewing as you spend days or even weeks in the brewing process to create a "beer" which you only spend a few hours distilling. You are certainly correct that brewing does not teach cuts or still behavior but beyond all the fermentation skills, it does teach what different grains contribute to a recipe. I have aged beers so don't discount the aging knowledge of brewing. It may have taught construction skills doing brewing equipment builds. Depending on the depth of brewing in which you delved you may have picked up much of the chemistry which aides in understanding a lot of what is going on in a still and in the product.

Yes, there is a lot more to learn and you can extend that learning in many directions and levels. But I feel brewing experience, especially if you really delved into the science and chemical processes involved provides a huge platform for which to build your distilling knowledge.