JUST A NEWBIE

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigmac
Novice

JUST A NEWBIE

Post by bigmac »

Hi All, I'm just a newbie to the hone distilling excitement. Already loving it. Have made my first wash and results have been quite ok. I look forward to getting to know you all online and am really enjoying the postings. Here's to you all.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: JUST A NEWBIE

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Mac.
Enjoy your time here...the more posts you read the more your head will spin and the more questions you will have.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 am Welcome aboard Mac.
Enjoy your time here...the more posts you read the more your head will spin and the more questions you will have.

Boy ain't that the truth!

Welcome. Be patient and enjoy the read.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:23 am Welcome aboard Mac.
Welcome but don’t stop reading!
“The more you know the more you forget,
The more you forget the less you know,
The less you know the less you forget,
The less you forget the more you know.”

This is how it feels beginning but as you progress information begins to stick. Good luck and enjoy the journey!
bigmac
Novice

Post by bigmac »

I just ran some 44% ethanol through a Fuselex Spirit Filter and I noticed that it developed heat in the tubular filter. Can anyone explain to me why it got hot please.
bigmac
Novice

Post by bigmac »

All carbon adsorption processes are exothermic, which means energy is released into the bed during adsorption. Further, the activated carbon or the metals in or on the activated carbon can lead to catalytic oxidation of VOC’s in the bed. This can lead to intense local heating.
VOV = Volitile organic compounds.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

bigmac wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:25 pm I just ran some 44% ethanol through a Fuselex Spirit Filter and I noticed that it developed heat in the tubular filter. Can anyone explain to me why it got hot please.
Intro only, no questions. First person to ask (pm) that comes mind is still_stirrin. I personally have no idea what your talking about
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.