Hi to all

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

dm60
Novice

Hi to all

Post by dm60 »

Just purchased a Milehi 8 Gal still and I am working on sugar runs for now trying to get use to how to cook. The only other board I belong to is a Home recording, if you are into home recording, good place to get lots of recording and mixing tips.

My main goal with distilling is to just learn the craft. I tripped over the subject about a year ago and found it fascinating, this age old craft. Watched a bunch of YouTube videos, then decided it was time. After one more sugar wash, I will try my hand at a grain brew, then I want to try a schnapps, the real kind like I use to get in my local village in Germany.

If anyone has any original schnap recipes. I am checking with my brother in laws in Germany, but they aren't into this and all of the old guys who use to do Schnapsbrennen are all gone. Any knowledge would be appreciated, also Grappa recipes, I would like to try my hand at that as well.

Looking forward to interacting with this community.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi to all

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome to HD dm60! Lots of info to read and research here. I grew up in Germany and am in TN now. Also work in recording and mixing so welcome to this rabbit hole. Lots of threads around for grappa and some for schnappsbrennen. For schnapps you really just need a bunch of fruit and can work with maceration and/or infusion. For grappa just read up a bit but grape pomace from a wine ferment is what you want. If you have a bunch of fruit or pomace you could probably dive right into either of those.

Which milehi still did you get? Running on gas or electric?

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome DM60
dm60 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:31 am Watched a bunch of YouTube videos, then decided it was time.
Let me just say thats probably about the worst way to learn the truth about distilling.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Welcome to HD dm60

It’s awesome you want to revive some of your old heritage .
Not my thing , but there is plenty in here about schnapps .
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

welcome!
dm60
Novice

Post by dm60 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:34 am Welcome DM60
dm60 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:31 am Watched a bunch of YouTube videos, then decided it was time.
Let me just say thats probably about the worst way to learn the truth about distilling.
I think it is like most information on the Internet, you have to learn how to triangulate it and figure out good information from bad information. Hence me finding my way here :)