Hello from Paraguay!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

legadodistillery
Novice

Hello from Paraguay!

Post by legadodistillery »

We are a new craft distillery that has been up and running for about 1.5 years. We constructed alongside the first organic sugar mill in the world, OTISA, in the countryside town of Arroyos y Esteros, Paraguay. So, being that we are next to an organic sugar mill and all....of course we decided to primarily make organic gin :D

Anyhow, I've been lurking for like a year now, learning lots from the board. Just wanted to say Howdy and Thanks!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Hello from Paraguay!

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD. I'd be thinking rum sometime after gin takes off.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Wow, you live in a country that is on my bucket list. The pictures I have seen are beautiful. Did some mountaineering in my younger days and made it as far as Bolivia but never on down. Would still love to do some hiking and just see the mountains. Now I have a new reason to come, craft liquor. Please share your knowledge and tell us more. BTW, perfect English and syntax for one whom I assume has English as a second language.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

Bienvenido!
happy to see more south americans around!
I've grew on Brazil/Paraguay border (Guaíra/Salto del Guairá) my family has a cachaça craft distillery there

Post some photos of your setup if you can, I would like to see it
legadodistillery
Novice

acfixer69 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:09 pm Welcome to HD. I'd be thinking rum sometime after gin takes off.
we are actually doing our organic rums in the background. We currently do two types of rums - a light rum distilled in our 28 plate continuous column and a heavier rum distilled in our copper pots. We are still tinkering with our fermentations for the heavier pot rums though. I actually want to pick the 'hive mind' here to get some ideas on our fermentations but I will do that in the appropriate section of the board
legadodistillery
Novice

subbrew wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:43 pm Wow, you live in a country that is on my bucket list. The pictures I have seen are beautiful. Did some mountaineering in my younger days and made it as far as Bolivia but never on down. Would still love to do some hiking and just see the mountains. Now I have a new reason to come, craft liquor. Please share your knowledge and tell us more. BTW, perfect English and syntax for one whom I assume has English as a second language.
you're more than welcome to visit any time! Paraguay is an interesting country given its crazy history. Its called the "inland island" for a reason....basically being sandwiched in the middle of all of the most remote parts of its neighbors Bolivia, Argentina and Brazil. Dictatorship for 40 years, the only country in the Americas where the majority of the population is bilingual and speaks the indigenous language (guarani) and it has a history of rum making with its "caña paraguaya" distilled from "cane honey" (fresh cane juice heated till it becomes viscous and honey like in texture). That is fermented and then distilled in copper columns

Well, I am an American that has lived in Mexico and now Paraguay. My spanish is passable, but my english worse :D
legadodistillery
Novice

JesseMarques wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:26 am Bienvenido!
happy to see more south americans around!
I've grew on Brazil/Paraguay border (Guaíra/Salto del Guairá) my family has a cachaça craft distillery there

Post some photos of your setup if you can, I would like to see it
Just about 5 hours up the road from us here in Arroyos y Esteros!

I am going to try and post a link to our instagram here for you:
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

We are a home distilling forum and speak in home distilling volumes. So we have a commercial forum for you guys. If you add to your signature a license # all the problems of posting your distillery will go away. Sorry for the formalities. Going to edit your link out for now.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Bienvenido!

Thanks for introducing yourself. I look forward to visit my Paraguayan cousings some time.

Un saludo!
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.