Checking in as a new member

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Critchy Otch
Novice

Checking in as a new member

Post by Critchy Otch »

Good Morning (sic) all.

I've been gathering piecemeal kit since I bought other folks cast off Grainfather & associated kit & thought it's time to get on with the original intentions.

Based in the UK I've read (& forgotten) a lot of fantastic info on this site & thought making an account may get me over the proverbial hump.

Now to buy some PTFE tape & capable tubing & tap to offset the unnecessary nastiness of my cheapy units.

I have both Pot & reflux (Grainfather) kit as well as a T500 boiler (well its a large beer sparger put to other use right)?

Prior to signing up I've been scouring the internet for better definition on sugar types & mixes, I hope someone can point me in the right direction there to allay fears / misinformation I may have taken onboard.

Thanks in advance for your insight & much needed coaching.
See you around the boards. :thumbup:
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Re: Checking in as a new member

Post by Rum Agol »

Welcome Critchy, I am also UK based. I'm sure the good folks here will guide you in the right direction.
Critchy Otch
Novice

Post by Critchy Otch »

Thank you Rum, is there a UK orientated area . thread here on HD site? (if so I never found it) dealing with where to get flogged only non turbo yeasts etc compared to the obviously heavy U.S. ease of availability of "brew gubbins"

(I'll save anything else for the proper places)
For my sins, I own a full T500 set up ..Bah
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

No UK specific area here.

What do you want to know about sugar?

If you are a rum maker, anything but white table sugar.

The closer the sugar is (processing wise) to cane the better it will be for rum production.
Panela or anything characterized as evaporated cane juice is as close as you'll get unless you move into cane syrup.

Of course there is molasses which will render a heavier rum.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Critchy Otch
Novice

Post by Critchy Otch »

Hi LW,
I need to edit that post already as insight was given elsewhere on the board.
However I suppose I ought ask how many runs with different sugar varieties would give me a decent insight as to what I might be after ? ..I guess I need to start saving jars for comparison specimens.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Critchy Otch wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:57 am Hi LW,
I need to edit that post already as insight was given elsewhere on the board.
However I suppose I ought ask how many runs with different sugar varieties would give me a decent insight as to what I might be after ? ..I guess I need to start saving jars for comparison specimens.
I think you'll need to run anything you can get your hands on in order to fully develop your point of view.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Critchy Otch
Novice

Post by Critchy Otch »

Yeah, that'll make the wife happy! I already have 100+ kg of wood dust for food smoking stacked up, numerous solar panels (can't get wood over here for building work currently) & the wholesaler is 25 kg bags of sugar varieties, guess I'd better stick to simple steps & less kit for now.