Hallo all

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

markus1234
Novice

Hallo all

Post by markus1234 »

Hi,

I'm a 31 year old guy from middle europe.
My interest in "home distilling" started with a lot of really bad tasting gins in my country :D ("cant be that hard")

Since a few weeks I'm mostly doing small runs with what I got at home (mostly lab ware since I'm working in "chemical" profession). Mostly macerated gin (not more than 400ml)
I know a lot of the principals involved and how the processes should work, but I'M still unsure about the alcohol related things like tasting, right cuts and really what to use when (thats exactly why I'm here)

I'm happy to learn something new from this forum and its people :)

Best reagrds,
Markus
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Hallo all

Post by Saltbush Bill »

markus1234 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm but I'M still unsure about the alcohol related things like tasting, right cuts and really what to use when (thats exactly why I'm here)
Welcome to Home Distiller Marcus, making good gin requires two things. A good base spirit and then the right quantities of the right botanicals.
The first step is to make a good base spirit or Neutral, without the right still that can be easier said than done.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome to us, generally the cuts are complicated to explain in words, it serves a bit of practice, my advice is to use your smell.
markus1234
Novice

Post by markus1234 »

Thanks for the warm wellcome :)

Ithink regarding cuts, I/It will just get better over time (to train my nose/mouth :D ). One thing that worries me still is that I start with 96% abv ethanol, water it down to 60% abv, let everything macerate, distill it and the result definitely tastes like the stuff I put in before (juniper, koriander...) but It is really "boozy" and rough. Even after I add distilled water to get 38% abv.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

markus1234 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm started with a lot of really bad tasting gins in my country :D ("cant be that hard")
Of course not if a bunch of Hillbilly's can do it .....lol
markus1234 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm (mostly lab ware since I'm working in "chemical" profession).
markus1234 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm I know a lot of the principals involved and how the processes should work,
there is science ..but learn the craft/ art first ...you will do better.
markus1234 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:32 am One thing that worries me still is that I start with 96% abv ethanol, water it down to 60% abv, let everything macerate, distill it and the result definitely tastes like the stuff I put in before (juniper, koriander...) but It is really "boozy" and rough.
Nobody that I know of on any forum macerates at that sort of strength.........nor should you ever put anything at that ABV in a still. 40% abv Maximum.