hello from utah

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yogi Chang
Novice

hello from utah

Post by Yogi Chang »

greetings, & thx for accepting me

i started manufacturing EtOH when i was 19yo. i started with beer & wine. distilling was the natural evolution of my hobby. i love it & am pretty good at it.

i use a brewhause. i love its versatility. the ??? isn't what have i made, but what haven't i made. aquavit is on that list, also some of the asian likkers, i'm always looking to try new things. i can't go to the grocery store w/o thinking "how can i make that into likker?" i'm def a Dr. Frankenshiner.

i have a tremor that makes it hard to type, so my spelling & grammer is a lil unique. (i take a lotta short cuts {but still understandable [it's my excuse for bad spelling & abbvs]})

i love sharing my knowledge & experience, & hope i can help ppl in this brotherhood. Again, thx for the add
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: hello from utah

Post by Stonecutter »

Welcome aboard Yogi!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, and here is a great aquavit recipe.
Aquavit
Here is the recipe for my favourite aquavit. It's a copy of the brand Falu Brännvin that is no longer made. It's both sweet and a little bit bitter and with elegant anise and citrus flavour.

Pour 1.5 pints (3 cups) of your finest 40% ABV neutral in a one liter container with a pretty big opening.

Add 
*1 tsp whole caraway

*1 tsp whole fennel 

*1 whole star anise

*15 g (.5 oz) of bitter orange peels 

Let macerate for a week and then filter it.

Add 1 dl (3 tbsp) sugar and let it dissolve.

Now add some more neutral.
This is a question of how strong flavor you like but I add about 25 cl (.5 pint) or so.

To add some body and sourness add 1 oz full bodied Scotch and the juice from half a lemon.

It's ready to drink right away but the taste gets better if it's allowed to rest for a while.
Enjoy
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I looked it up on the web.

What Does Aquavit Taste Like? Aquavit, especially when unaged, has a neutral background flavor similar to vodka. At the forefront are the flavourings, with caraway up top—think rye bread but in spirit form. The herbaceous flavor is supported by other aromatics like dill, fennel, anise, and clove.

Geoff
The Baker