Gday from Country NSW Australia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

deadliftsnstill
Novice

Gday from Country NSW Australia

Post by deadliftsnstill »

Gday all.

Newb here, been lurking on the forums with no sign up for a few weeks, and finally decided to take the plunge.

I have, wait for it, an airstill. I've done one horrible yeasty turbowash on it. Nearly turned me off the hobby till I found this site. I'm not about to chuck it out, but I do have two old 50L kegs sitting here, and want to get into whisky and gins.
I've done beer/cider/wine kit fermenting before (thanks COVID!).
I've been reading and reading and have a lot more to go but there is only so many hours is in a week and there is crazy amounts of info on here, so some advice please.

If I have a keg, and want to give whisky and gin a crack, should I make a pot still style for whisky and just do 3-4 runs to make neutral for gins?
I plan to hang onto the aristill purely for easy stripping runs and to make experimental gin batches.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Gday from Country NSW Australia

Post by Sporacle »

:D Hey mate welcome aboard, building will be your best option and have a look at a CCVM, they are pretty versatile and easy to make
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
deadliftsnstill
Novice

Post by deadliftsnstill »

Thanks Sproracle.
Is there a glossary here somewhere (could have missed it), I am slowly getting my head around all the acronyms!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome from another part of NSW.
To make Gin and Whisky you need a few things , one is a way to make a good base spirit to then turn into Gin.....its not just a one step process to do it properly. Making a good base requires a Reflux still of some type, there is more than one type.
Whisky requires a Pot still or Plated column.
As stated by Sporacle , a CCVM will cover both bases.
Keep the air still as a small gin still......once you have the rest sorted.
Any other questions need to be asked in another appropriate area of the forum, we try to keep this for Welcomes only.
The Google search bar , top right of all HD pages is your friend here ....a quick search for Glossary bought all this up.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/app.php ... itesearch=
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Welcome.

You might be close to me, or maybe not.

Geoff (from northern Victoria).
The Baker
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

deadliftsnstill wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:29 am Thanks Sproracle.
Is there a glossary here somewhere (could have missed it), I am slowly getting my head around all the acronyms!
Yeah mate the three horizontal bars in the top left corner and then the search function, I do the the top search (google) mainly and then scroll down to the HD results.
Just take your time and search and read :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman