New to this hobby

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

EHolmes
Novice

New to this hobby

Post by EHolmes »

Hi everyone! I've been learning quite a bit of good info in these forums, so I thought I'd join and introduce myself. I've been brewing beer, cider and mead for over a decade, and I figured it was time to branch out a bit. I enjoy the creating side as much, if not more than, the drinking side of things. I end up making small batches of brews so I can brew more often, and I plan to do the same with distilling.

I picked up an air still at a good sale price, since this seems like a simple and economical point of entry into the hobby. Plus, a small footprint, all-in-one type appliance was key for minimizing spousal backlash. It seems like this runs like a small, air-cooled pot still, so I should be able to learn how to make and blend cuts with some practice.

I expect that I will end up dabbling in many different types of beverages, but I'm most looking forward to wood-aged rums (Brugal Añejo is my favorite) and gin (I'm a Sapphire guy, but I enjoy everything but Hendricks). It's apple season out my way, so my first batch will be an apple brandy which I will be starting the ferment on soon.

Thanks for the good information everyone has shared. I'm looking forward to learning more and picking your brains as I get more experience.
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Re: New to this hobby

Post by Rum Agol »

Welcome E. I bet as you delve deeper into this rabbit hole you will want to upgrade to a bigger still, but what you have will serve to get you acquainted with the process. Have fun and enjoy.
Tx Mike
Novice

Re: New to this hobby

Post by Tx Mike »

Welcome to the group, sounds like you'll fit in just fine!