re introduction

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

re introduction

Post by corene1 »

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I have been absent on the forums for awhile but I am getting things ready to get back into the distilling game. Not much on the scientific end but I am a pretty good fabricator. I have simplified my equipment for all of it to be interchangeable. I have a 25,15 and 12 gallon boilers that I can set up as any boiler and thumper combination or I can use any of them as a single boiler with a pot still head or 1 to 4 modular plates and I am working on building packed column for neutrals. I just finished building my Graham condenser.. It is 5 inches in diameter and 18 inches tall but has 10 full feet of 1/2 inch coper tubing inside of it. I have found this set up to be very good using minimal amounts of water for cooling. I have also built myself a nice 50 gallon mash tun with a false bottom and an agitator for those pesky all grain mash cooks. I used an old 300 RPM cement mixer motor for the agitator motor and built a clamp that will attach it to the tun or it can be removed.
I finally have some nice whiskies that are about 5 years old that suit my taste just fine. One is basically a whisky mash using corn, oats, malted red wheat, and malted barley. The other is a Rumsky aged on oak and made from the same grain bill. I simply make the whisky mash then drain using the false bottom for my whisky ferment then refill the tun with water re heat and drain off all the left over sugars from the grain mash and add molasses for a second wash. So essentially 2 ferments from a single cook. Then save all the feints for an all feints run to make a basic neutral for making flavored drinks. Trying to keep everything simple as I get older. Looking forward to reconnecting with folks here and getting to know the new folk as well.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: re introduction

Post by NZChris »

Welcome back. I had noticed your absence and it's nice to know you're doing well.

Cheers
Chris
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Good to see you back!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome Corene! Glad to see you back distilling.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome back Corene.
I for one have always enjoyed your posts and found them very informative.
Are there any build threads on the horizon?
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Would love to see a picture of that condenser!
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Welcome back Corene...
It's always good to see your ideas come to life.
Please post up some pics of your setup. :)
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Oatmeal wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:17 am Would love to see a picture of that condenser!
Welcome back and I second the pictures. You always have good advice when talking about fabrication as well as process. Looking forward to your posts.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Nice to see you back Corene . You don’t need to re - welcome ….anytime you come back is a welcome time .

Anyway , miss you posts. :thumbup:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

welcome back Corene, i thought about you the other day, with reports of fires near your area. i hope the smoke and flames avoided you by a big margin.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome back Corene. Can’t wait to see what you will make next after all this time off.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, it certainly has been awhile. We are fortunate here that the fires have not come close to us but the smoke and ash has been very bad. Weather is finally back in the mid eighties so fermenting will not be a big problem as it was when we were constantly in the 100 + range. I am really not planning any big builds but rather to clean up and simplify my processes. It seems time and arthritis is taking it's toll on me. I was fortunate enough to find four 15.5 gallon kegs, one was a bit damaged on the bottom so I replaced the bottom and it is now a 12 gallon keg. The perks for a son that works for the waste company here. I still am computer illiterate , but will attempt to get some pictures of my projects. I guess someday I will have to update to the 21st century and get one of those fancy cell phones with the camera in them, but I would probably break it. The Graham condenser came out pretty nice but I am still not one for external polishing and glitz. Making the 1/2 inch coil was a bit of a challenge but after a couple of tries it looks nice. Next weekend I am planning on rebuilding all my stands to work better together and will make the adjustable stand for my new condenser . It has to be adjustable up and down to accommodate all he different heights that I may encounter with different combinations of still heads . I was thinking of adding in a small section of flexible 3/4 inch copper tubing with unions on both ends to make line up a bit easier. Just thinking out loud I guess. I plan on incorporating a few transfer pumps to help eliminate a lot of the bucket type transfers. Right now I have one that goes from the fermenters to the boiler and it is really convenient. Hook up the hose and flip a switch , Perfect! Work smarter not harder , right? I did receive an e-mail from Jimbo the other day . Seems he is still at it and doing well. Guess we will all just keep putting one foot in front of the other and move forward . Maybe just a little slower.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Really glad to see you back :D
You are right, the older we get the more we appreciate pumps :lol:
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I, for one, have missed you. When I joined the forum, you very active and a major influence on my processes. So, not only am I glad you're back with us, but I am confident there are a lot of new members who will benefit from your knowledge and skills.

Cheers, Corene.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

And thanks for all the advice you have given me.

Good to hear from you again.
I will be interested to hear more about your set up; I also need to include some extra features (pre-heater? thumper?)
and find the idea of connecting them up to be a bit daunting.
And pumps instead of buckets? Yes!
I am getting a dicky knee...

Geoff
The Baker
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Nice to see you back on the forum, Always welcome :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Hey there gal welcome back
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

I don’t post too much but have been reading the forum for a while. Got several of your posts bookmarked. Nice to see you back.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

And another Welcome Back!!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Welcome back!
:)
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Re-welcome Corene.
Good that you are well.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.