Greetings from SE Asia!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wheelup
Novice

Greetings from SE Asia!

Post by Wheelup »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the art and keen to learn.

I started to get into whisky and rum a few years ago, such diverse spirits with so many different flavors and stories behind them. I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful country with an abundance of sugar cane so I thought it would be fun to try and make some of my own rum. I'm also interested to learn about other distillation on the journey.

I've been reading quite a bit and watching plenty of youtube videos and I think I'm close to being ready to get some gear together and start making some proper mistakes! I joined the forum to ask a few questions and access the incredible wealth of knowledge available here.

Looking forward to starting the journey proper!
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: Greetings from SE Asia!

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to the forum. I recommend forgetting everything you have learned on YouTube. It is unreliable and usually false information. Go through the mandatory reading. Then spend a few months reading what stills and methods will get you to your goals, before buying anything. Far too many newbies end up buying low quality stills or the wrong type altogether. Good luck and enjoy the read
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Welcome. I will slightly contradict Smoky in that the Still-it Youtube channel I have found to be good and informative as well as a bit humorous. When ready go to the tried and true recipe section and you will find plenty of rum recipes.
Wheelup
Novice

Post by Wheelup »

SmokyMtn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:24 am Welcome to the forum. I recommend forgetting everything you have learned on YouTube. It is unreliable and usually false information. Go through the mandatory reading. Then spend a few months reading what stills and methods will get you to your goals, before buying anything. Far too many newbies end up buying low quality stills or the wrong type altogether. Good luck and enjoy the read
Thank you, this forum is incredible and has so much info.

Yes there seems to be plenty of differing and sometimes conflicting information! I think I've found a couple of pretty good sources. They are 'Stillit' and 'Barley and hops brewing'. I've read the most of the mandatory reading here but there is always more to learn though and so many fascinating threads.
Wheelup
Novice

Post by Wheelup »

subbrew wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:57 am Welcome. I will slightly contradict Smoky in that the Still-it Youtube channel I have found to be good and informative as well as a bit humorous. When ready go to the tried and true recipe section and you will find plenty of rum recipes.
Stillit was the first youtube person I started to watch during the lockdown. Some interesting stuff and as you say he makes it fun which is good. Another one I listen to is 'Barley and hops brewing' he tends to go on quite a bit but has a great way of explaining some of the more complicated aspects.

I can't wait to get started! I've got access to plenty of molasses here...it comes by the barrel if you want but I've not idea whats in it! hopefully a load of good fermentable sugar due to the apparently inefficient sugar mills round here.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Wheelup
Please read the forum rules, https://homedistiller.org/forum/app.php/rules
Note that B&H get a mention under the heading of Rule L.
Bad advice given on many many occasions. Steer clear !