G'day

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

DunderBlunder
Novice

G'day

Post by DunderBlunder »

G'day everyone,
I am a long time lurker to this site and have been experimenting with distilling for the past year.
i have been brewing beer for the past 5 years, and have now been bitten by the distilling bug!
i Have a super basic setup at the moment due to lack of space (living in a town house).
I am currently running a small pot still adaption to my Brewzilla setup, not the prettiest but for entry level i am happy with the results!
i have been making gin quite regularly (Odin's easy gin), and have been having a great time experimenting with seasonal botanicals.
Just ran my first stripping run of rum (using Buccaneers Bob's recipe), and from my 27L of wash ended up with just over 5L of 55%.
I'm making another wash using the previous dunder and yeast bed to hopefully get all the flavours through the rum.

Anyway thanks to all the wizards out there who have shared their impressive knowledge base!
And for listing the required reading very helpful.
Cheers
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Re: G'day

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome to forum, enjoy the read
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
DunderBlunder
Novice

Post by DunderBlunder »

Thanks!
You have to go through the shit and the mud, to get to the gold.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

55% is very high for rum low wines and suggests that you shut down too early and may have left a lot of good flavor and alcohol in the dunder.
DunderBlunder
Novice

Post by DunderBlunder »

Gday NZChris,
first of all thanks for all the info you have posted on here!
I have enjoyed reading all your comments, hints and tips.
I think you are absolutely right about the ending the stripping run to early.
I finished the run at about 25% and thought that was where i shoukd stop it.
However it was only until after i had finished my first rum stripping run that i realized i should have been going off the abv of the collective low wines.
ah well learning is why i am here.
i haven't done a stripping run yet as i am thinking of adding the low wines i have to the low wines of my next stripping run (which i would obviously run to the right %).
Would it be worth while in your estimation to run the second low wines to a lower % to balance out the first low wines? aiming to hit a combined low wines of 45%?
cheers.
p.s would it be better to start a new thread for this?
You have to go through the shit and the mud, to get to the gold.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Welcome DB