New to HD, and..... forum etiquette?

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

usoldier
Novice

New to HD, and..... forum etiquette?

Post by usoldier »

Hello world.

Some guy about 15 years ago wrote an example of how to introduce yourself here; and since I try to rtfm, well here goes. Then, I have a question that differs from place to place, forum to chat, KB to wiki, etc that I'd like to ask before I go pissing people off.
So, a little about me... Well, I'm not in distilling yet, but I keep running into this place in my google searches. Seems like the largest repository of knowledge on ethanol is right here. I'm former army, I'm retired and I'm good at a little bit of everything, but a master of none.
I haven't bought a still, but I was thinking of using a water distiller with adjustable temperature for it (it was marketed as "for distilling of water and alcohol") if I got that far. But I can't let the cat out of the bag or I might get banned!
I'm in the SW US and boy do I dislike it here. Trying to get up to the NE where they have real trees, water and maybe ocean.
Before I get in trouble or piss anyone off, I felt that this was a platform specific question which might vary from community to community online, and never get the same answer, so here goes.
How do people on HD feel about someone resurrecting an old thread/topic, that's been dormant for years? I see it as a chance to see if the topic needs any updating and if time has changed things or not. But I know some people get..... a bit angry, when people do that. That said, the question I'd pose wasn't ever really answered, even in the old threads. At least not directly. So I can't tell if things were just different, that long ago (when I wasn't searching for this) and if everyone in the HD forums kind of just "knew" these things, like an unwritten rule or norm, which maybe is not the case today, or something else?
Anyway, thought I'd ask before I ran afoul of the entire community.
Thanks and its nice meeting you all.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New to HD, and..... forum etiquette?

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome to HD! And either ask the question already or awaken the dead thread. Whichever you prefer.

Don’t forget about the HD Google search when re-searching and reading.

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome to HD.

From my experience there is no issue or rule against replying to an old thread. I think as long as you are communicating on the subject of the original topic in a positive way, it’s fine. I have also seen the occasional topic reply just to bump a specific thread that is either interesting to the reader or topical to current conversations, and no one has said a word.

Just avoid what one community member here called “shitting all over someone else’s thread” by not making off topic or non-constructive posts.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome usoldier,

It sounds like you've read through enough threads to assess the wealth of knowledge here. To get a sense of decorum, pick a few topics you'd like to know more about and research the hell out of 'em. Use the search bar above or conduct a google search with the word 'homedistiller' placed before your desired topic. Those will get you a pile of threads with answers to your questions. They will also give you a flavor of how information here is exchanged and/or constructively debated.

The two primary reasons for 'pissing someone off' are: asking a routine question that you failed to research and answer yourself via perhaps dozens of threads that contain the same information; that and being argumentative and insisting your way is the only right way. Oh, and each of us has a different learning rate so be prepared to accept advice how it comes - a thick skin sometimes helps.

To be honest, there are many gracious stillers here willing to share what they've learned because we all started from scratch. If you're serious about learning, this is the place to do it - but make sure you've exhausted your search before you ask. If you're just being lazy you will get called out or directed where to find your answer. Why? The old-timers have grown weary of answering the same question six or seven-dozen times. If an old thread doesn't answer the question it may just be incomplete, and, well, old. Keep hunting.

By all means, ask questions about what type of still build or buy before you drop your hard-earned cash on a shiny new still that has the words 'dual-purpose' or 'pro' in its name. It's highly likely the still will do neither what it promises to do (very well) or be so prohibitively slow the act of distilling becomes a tedious chore.

Oh, and thanks for your service.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Dead Threads…. Seems like some kind of hippy clothing to me :sarcasm:

Resurrecting some ancient thread isn’t boorish. Just make sure you’re not making a fool out of yourself by asking something that has already been answered…I’ve definitely been there. it can be hard with so much info out there but with a little research it’s doable.
Welcome to the forum!!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
usoldier
Novice

Post by usoldier »

Thank you for all the responses. I completely understand the perspectives of "the guy came in here and wants everything spoon fed to him" and "people have grown weary of answering the same question over and over". And "shitting on a thread" is should be common sense obvious
non-acceptable behavior anywhere. Then again, I'm old school. (Probably like many here). I can't say I like the direction the world has gone with all this.
When I said I try to rtfm, that includes "knowledge formats that may or may not be in the format of a manual" - such as forums, etc. Before medical retirement I did 15 years of IT, and the answer to technical questions is 1) usually online 2) never in the manual and 3) in places and formats you'd often least expect it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is "rtfm then search until you're sure you've seen that same page of results before".
Then I'll finally break down and ask someone if I still can't find the answer.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Don’t be too scared to ask a question and to contribute helpful information for other forum members. You might receive some gruff answers or get pointed to the HD Google search function but if you can’t find an existing discussion then it might be helpful info for all.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

I've revived a few dead threads this week, I try to look at the date stamp and if it's past 2-3 years and my comment is targeted at one person, I just shoot them a PM with a link to the thread and quote their post, and then ask them said question.

But as others have said, dead thread revival doesn't appear to be a hot button topic around here. Especially when the hot button topic is "use the search bar, that question has been asked already" which in turns leads you to a dead thread in the first place!
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Welcome and thank you for your service.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome usoldier
People learn from old threads, I still find and read threads I've never seen before.
I see zero wrong with revisiting them again.....must be some weird forums around if people get hot under the collar because an old thread gets opened up again.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

Someone bumped an eight year old thread yesterday and I ended up writing myself a method for a novel likker I often have all the ingredients for, so bump as often as you like.